want to move from Banktivity but need to have app on both computers

thanks

tom

Best Answer

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can install Quicken on as many computers as you like but it won't sync your data across multiple computers. You can only have your data file on one computer at a time, and you can't put it on cloud storage either.

If you want to access your data from multiple computers you have a couple options. One is to put your Quicken file on one computer, turn on Mobile Sync, and use Quicken Web on the other computer to access your data via the browser. The other option is to move the file back & forth between computers as needed - this works better if you mostly use it on one computer and only occasionally need to move it to the other one (for example, when you travel).

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can install Quicken on as many computers as you like but it won't sync your data across multiple computers. You can only have your data file on one computer at a time, and you can't put it on cloud storage either.

If you want to access your data from multiple computers you have a couple options. One is to put your Quicken file on one computer, turn on Mobile Sync, and use Quicken Web on the other computer to access your data via the browser. The other option is to move the file back & forth between computers as needed - this works better if you mostly use it on one computer and only occasionally need to move it to the other one (for example, when you travel).

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• SausalitoDog
    SausalitoDog Member ✭✭
    Options

thanks…that's a real problem for me since I use the two almost 50-50.

I'll have to puzzle this out and stick with what I have at least till the end of the year (for tax reports)

thank you so much for making that clear. I'll figure something out

cheers,

tom

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@SausalitoDog You didn't indicate whether you use a Mac or Windows PC. I can only speak to experience on a Mac, and I'd say that moving the file — making it a .zip and copying it to iCloud or Dropbox — adds less than 30 seconds of time to your workflow after using Quicken, and the same in reverse before you start using Quicken. It's not a real problem, and certainly shouldn't keep you from using Quicken.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

you can also make one of the computers the "main" keeper of the Quicken data -
    and then use the addon Quicken capabilities of the Quicken Mobile App or Quicken on the Web -
    for simple access & view vs the big power of the desktop -

https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-cloud

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Ps56k2 said: You can also make one of the computers the "main" keeper of the Quicken data - 
    and then use the addon Quicken capabilities of the Quicken Mobile App or Quicken on the Web

I'm personally not a big fan of using Quicken Cloud services; I love it conceptually, but I've seen many people run into problems due to syncing issues between Cloud and desktop, so I choose to avoid any potential problems by not allowing my desktop data file to sync to Quicken Cloud. But there's another potential option…

If the desktop computer isn't being used by someone else when you're on the laptop, you can run Quicken exclusively on the desktop computer, and just use a remote screen sharing utility (Mac or Windows) to open the desktop computer's screen on the laptop. This gives you access to all the features of Quicken, not the limited features of the mobile app or web interface, and there's no moving of the data file at all. This doesn't work if someone else in the family needs to use the desktop computer when you want to use Quicken, but if the desktop is just sitting idle, this is a low-effort way to do it.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

@jacobs - yeah.. me too - don't trust it at all -
    also sticking with my R47.xx - as all later releases each introduced major data corruptions -
    Just trying to share the "listed features" of Quicken -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.