How to repopulate categories for monthly cc payments?

Options
Stephie
Stephie Member

I'm using Windows 10. Quicken Deluxe 2022, version R52-33. It used to automatically repopulate same categories each month for cc payments. Then all I would have to do is enter the new number for that month. For about the last couple of weeks, I have to select and enter each category for the cc. I have 2 cc accounts in Quicken and the other one is still repopulating automatically. What's going on? Did I unknowingly hit a key to make this change? How do I get it to work like it used to?

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you give an example of what your categories are for your credit card payment?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How are you entering the credit card charges? Do you enter each charge in a Credit Card Account -or- split out the payment in your checking account?

The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. Then when you pay the credit card bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account (not a category). Then if or when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Stephie
    Stephie Member
    Options

Thanks for the comments you provided. I split the charge in my checking account and set the payee as the credit card. For example, for the card I use for personal use, I have various categories of groceries, auto fuel, contributions, etc. Until a couple of weeks ago, every month when I entered the cc name and payment, the categories from the previous month's cc entry automatically populated the split transaction. But now I have to choose each category every time. Sounds like I haven't set it up like you say I should have, but it used to work the way I do it just fine and then all of a sudden it doesn't work. BTW, the categories for my business cc are still repopulating the way they always have. I think I must have inadvertently hit a key that turned that particular function off. But I have no idea what it was or how to find it. It's hard to even explain the problem I'm having. Any other suggestions?

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Stephie i suspect you have a memorized payee issue. For your process, you would want the memorized payee to have all your regular categories, no dollar amount, and it should be locked.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So find the last good transaction that worked or you entered and memorize it. Highlight it and do Ctrl+M. Then open the memorized list and lock it and clean up the memorized list. You might have several transactions entered with slightly different names.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@volvogirl said:

You might have several transactions entered with slightly different names.

In fact, they might have identical names, and that might be the whole problem.

Unless you lock a memorized payee there is nothing stopping it from having multiple "entries" under that one payee name (with different splits/amounts). And that leads to the problem of which one should Quicken pick, and it might not pick the one you want.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Stephie
    Stephie Member
    Options

Thanks so much for those suggestions. I'll check them out!!

This discussion has been closed.