Can't Access Data File - "data file is from newer version"

Options

Few days ago was not able to open data file - error message that data file is from newer version. Did not make any changes to my configuration before this error. Used an old backup file and reinput months of transactions. Tried to do a backup and Quicken closed. This morning, did a transaction download and Quicken deleted transactions I input last evening. Tried to do another backup and Quicken closed. Tried to open file and received the error message again - data file is from newer version. SO FRUSTRATED. WHAT IS GOING ON?

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @DHori,

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error message you described receiving? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments. Please remember to redact any personal information as needed.

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• DHori
    DHori Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Here is screen shot

• DHori
    DHori Member
    Options

Still not working for me with data file on c drive

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What version, edition level (Starter, Deluxe, etc.) and release (R xx.xx) of Quicken are you using?
    US, Canadian or other country version?
    Is your subscription expired or still active?
    Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) for this information.
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?

Are you syncing your data file to the Quicken server for use with Q on the Web or Q Mobile on your smartphone? (After a restore one should Reset Sync and upload a new sync file to the server)

Are you making backups of your data file every day when you close Quicken?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

any weird error message usually points to a corrupted data file. As to the cause, it could be anything - hence all the questions about your entire Quicken environment that might be randomly causing corruption-

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• DHori
    DHori Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

US

Subscription active

Windows 10

Mac OS Monterey Version 12.6.9

I don't use Quicken on my mobile. I believe it is syncing to the server.

I have done backups in the past. When I tried after error message, used backup file and reentered data, tried to backup and it simply closed Quicken without completion the backup.

Any thoughts on how to restore my situation is appreciated.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

1 - where is your Quicken QDF data file located…..
    C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Quicken\QDATA-z8a.QDF

2 - any cloud service running - like OneDrive, DropBox, etc

3 - are you using both the Windows and the MAC versions of Quicken

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• DHori
    DHori Member
    Options
    1. I moved the data file to the c drive.
    2. My Mac uses icloud, but the folder where the file resides now does not save to the cloud
    3. I am using the windows version of Quicken through Parallels.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello @DHori,

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Quicken? Please refer to the following support articles for instructions on uninstalling here and reinstalling here.

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• DHori
    DHori Member
    Options

I uninstalled and reinstalled. Still get the message that qdf file will not open as it is from a newer version. No one has yet explained to me what that means.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What that means is that an important control record within your QDF data file was damaged and cannot be processed. Since you are on the latest available Quicken version already, there cannot be a newer version of Quicken.

Your only alternative is to restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken just prior to the problem first occurring. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

This discussion has been closed.