Deleted category faux pas (Q Mac)

Options
gsdubz
gsdubz Member

I was tracking expenses for a car that I recently sold, so I deleted its category from the category listing. I now have over 400 uncategorized entries in my file. Is there anyway that I can restore them other than manual reentry?

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Possibly… Use the search box to do a search in the account or account group register that will have contained all those transactions for "uncategorized". Review them to make sure they are all ones related to the car category. Select all of the transactions (Cmd-A), then Command-click any not related to the car category to deselect them. Now you should have selected all and only those that need to be changed back to the car category. Click menu File > Get Info. This will let you batch change the uncategorized category back to your car category. The only problem will be that the batch change feature will not change any categories that are part of split transactions. Those you will have to edit one by one manually.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Or, if this was quite recent, you might be better going to a backup file from before you deleted the category.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.