issue converting a QMac to QWin - and $CAD vs $USD ? (Edit)

Options
AJO Quicken
AJO Quicken Member

I have tried numerous times to export the data file from IoS apple Quicken and import to Quicken Deluxe for Windows but the new Quicken account values are always in $US. There is no way to change the currency. I have contact technical support numerous times, they are useless.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I haven't seen anything mentioned about this, mostly because I'm guessing it isn't a common use case, but I'm not really surprised that it doesn't work right. Quicken Mac doesn't even have true multiple currency support (which is one reason it allows the user to flip the currency in accounts, because it is just a symbol, and doesn't actually affect any kind of conversion). And Quicken Windows Canadian has the best multiple currency support of any of Quicken including Quicken Windows US (which is better than Quicken Mac). But Quicken Canadian also has a mayor flaw in that the home currency can't be changed and it has to be CAD.

So, in a nutshell I don't believe there is really any real support for multiple currency in the QXF format/export/import other than maybe transferring the "currency symbol". It should be noted that the QXF format was created to export for Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac (Quicken Mac Essentials to be exact, and then extended as Quicken Mac got features). Quicken Windows importing of the QXF file has always been "after thought" that has never been fully supported.

For instance, I can't take my data file which doesn't even have multiple currency support on and export it in QXF format and then import it back into a new data file and expect it to be right. It will mess up the investment accounts.

About all I can suggest is creating a new account in the correct currency and then moving the transactions from the bad account to it, and deleting the old account.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with Chris_QPW… one solution is to create a new account in CAD for each old account in USD and move the transactions - they will move without being "adjusted" for f/x rate. The other possible solution is to create a new Quicken for Windows file and create each account as a shell account with at least one placeholder transaction in each account. Then you could import each account individually and the currency should remain locked to CAD. There are limitations to both methods. You are unlikely to find a solution that works perfectly, but you could use one of these methods to get the bulk of the data converted and then do whatever cleanup is required.

• AJO Quicken
    Options

Thanks for the comments. To move the transactions from the old Apple account to the new Quicken for Windows account would that be by exporting the data in csv file format then importing it?

• Arctic Hare
    Options

I was thinking import into Quicken Windows using QIF format, but I don't know if the Mac product can export QIF as I've never used the Mac product.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken Mac can't export a QIF.

But I'm wondered why there would be a need. Can't you just create a new account with the correct currency and then move the transactions from the bad account to the new one.

If you really have to export from Quicken Mac in CSV format, I do have a few programs that might help but note none are geared to "understanding" multiple currencies. One would have to create the accounts with the right currency and then import into them. Just so you know QIF format knows nothing about currencies, just numbers.

Signature:
  • Arctic Hare
    Options

The fact that QIF is unaware of currency is precisely why I suggested it, but this becomes a QIF export from the USD account in Quicken Windows and a QIF import to the CAD account in Quicken Windows. Yes, it is like a move transaction operation, but it may be more reliable than the move transaction approach. I've certainly had success with the move transaction (from one account to another) approach, but I've also had some hiccups using that approach. Both are viable options:

1. Export from USD account in Quicken Windows using QIF and import using QIF into CAD Quicken Windows account
    2. Create a new CAD account in Quicken Windows and use the move transactions function to move all the transactions from the USD account to the CAD account

Both methods will just "move the numbers" unaware of currency and will not perform an F/X adjustment.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, I agree, I think in some cases Quicken internal commands try to convert between currencies or even ask what the exchange rate is and can get in the way. But there shouldn't be any problem exporting in QIF format, and then importing it back in another account with the right currency. Quicken Mac shouldn't be any part of this, it would all be in Quicken Windows, and that same data file.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Actually, there is one potential problem and that is transfers to other accounts.

Signature:
  • Arctic Hare
    Options

That's true and for that reason it might be worthwhile attempting the Move Transaction process first. If Move Transaction doesn't work then the QIF method will likely work, but some fixup of transfers between accounts might be required.

• AJO Quicken
    Options

Thank you for the replies. I will try these options. Just to be clear, the Quicken for Apple account is in Canadian $, with Canadian bank accounts. The new Windows Quicken accounts are also set up for Canadian $ but for whatever reason the actual $ values show as $US.

Frustrating, haha

• Arctic Hare
    Options

Yes, thanks for reminding us the original accounts in the Mac version are in CAD. That being said, I don't understand when you say the new accounts are set up as CAD but show up as USD. The key is to enter at least one transaction into an account after it is set up and that locks the currency - with at least one exception. I have observed that if a Express Web Connect or Web Connect session import an incorrect currency [CURDEF] that will cause the account's currency to change. That is, importing a [CURDEF] with a different value does change an accounts currency setting.

This discussion has been closed.