Why Can't I See all Available Potential Linked Accounts

Options
Jim Wetzel
Jim Wetzel Member ✭✭

Having seen the thread for deactivating and reactivating Schwab Accounts to better Handle Schwab Govt Money I decided to give it a try. Well it was/is an utter failure.

I have 5 Schwab Brokerage Accounts and 6 associated Cash Accounts. I checked ALL of them and they all Display "Set up Now" in the Online Services. I have checked and there are NO other Schwab Accounts either linked or otherwise in my Account List (and Hidden Accounts)

So I execute the Set Up Now on one of the accounts and it initiates the Schwab linkage and consent on the Schwab web Site and once approved returns to Quicken to pick up the accounts and potential linking.

Then the problems begin:

2 of the Accounts have the proper linkage suggested
3 of the Accounts have an Improper link suggested BUT the Proper one does not Appear in the list
1 of the accounts defaults to Don't add to Quicken and cannot be changed.

Again there are NO other Schwab Accounts present and they are not currently linked in Quicken. So I don't know how this can be fixed. I have also run the file repair a couple of times just to see if that had any effect — NOPE!

To add to the strangeness — while ALL of the Schwab accounts are deactivated every time I do an online update Schwab appears in my account list for a potential update. While I uncheck this item Quicken STILL goes out to Schwab every time I try to up date and link accounts. I just simply hit back and then cancel and the rest of the update goes fine. This seems to indicate to me that there is a Schwab update of some form stuck in the system. This has been going on for a few weeks now and I feel like I have exhausted all possibilities. So am looking for help here.

Any ideas?

Regards …. Jim

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Give this a try: Backup and deactivate all the Schwab Accounts from downloading. When you deactivate an Account that gives you access to the Financial Institution and Account Number fields. Delete all the information in both fields in all Accounts. The close Quicken, wait a minute, and re-open Quicken. You might even re-boot the computer after closing the program.

I recently went through the same process and saw both the proper and improper suggested Accounts to link to, but even with the improper suggested Accounts the correct Accounts were available in the drop-down list.

If that doesn't work then I'd suggest a phone call - certainly NOT "chat" - to Official Quicken Support. By this time they must have seen every possible permutation of Schwab problems so I'd expect that they might have the answer for you.

• Jim Wetzel
    Jim Wetzel Member ✭✭
    Options

Tom,

Thanks for the quick response. I have been trying various combinations of your approach with partial success. At this point I have resorted to linking the accounts one at a time so I can get the ones Quicken can match back in operation.

I am trying the other accounts to see exactly what is left to match on and what Quicken think I can match on. I think there is a pattern but am trying to verify.

Regards …. Jim

• Tom Young
    Options

One thing I forgot to mention in my initial post, a step that I did include in my recovery, was signing in as a different user after deactivating the Accounts' connections. Frankly I don't know if that's actually important - nobody here really has a good handle on the details of the EWC+ process - but I should have remembered to include that bit.

• Jim Wetzel
    Jim Wetzel Member ✭✭
    Options

Tom,

OK — Just out of curiosity — What do you mean RE: Signed in as a Different User?

In Quicken? If so how was this associated with your account?

Jim

• Tom Young
    edited November 2023
    Options

Do Edit > Preferences...> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts then click on "Sign in as a different user." Then you sign back in with your regular UserID and Password.

You can click on the little question mark next to that link and Quicken help will explain what happens. The most important result is that the cloud account data associated with your Quicken file is removed. The act of "syncing" certainly seems to have been linked to EWC data problems and downloading problems so it seems like an appropriate thing to do when you're struggling with EWC as EWC using "syncing" as part of its process. As soon as you sign in again in your Quicken file the cloud information will be restored, except for the 3 items listed in the Help dialog.

This discussion has been closed.