How to setup different Q on Web files for different family members (edit)

Options

I manage my finances for my family and other family members. I can set up separate databases with separate logins on my desktop but I only want my family to see their own finances and not each other (including mine). My family members just want to see their mobile/web access to their finances; however, it appears that I only have one login that shows all the "databases of info" by the name of the Datafile but no security is applied between them. Is there any way to sync my family's files to the mobile/web and when they sign in, they have to use a different password and only see their data on the mobile?

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You would need a separate Quicken ID (and copy of Quicken) to keep them separated.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • AStuartMills
    AStuartMills Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the quick response. Does that mean I would have to pay for separate subscriptions for each family member?

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

Yes, it does.

• AStuartMills
    AStuartMills Member ✭✭
    Options

That is a disappointment. I guess my last question would be… I have the Premier Version - can I buy a lower subscription version for my family members and use my Premier version to manage their database but sync to their "lower" mobile/web version for them to view their information? They do not need to make any transaction entries etc. - They just need to view their information that I will sync to the web for them.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

You can buy a lower version, but you would need to login to Quicken with the Quicken ID that belongs to that Quicken data file. One of the SuperUser's posted a method for switching data files with different Quicken ID's. I'll see if I can find it if you interested.

• AStuartMills
    AStuartMills Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you. Yes I would be very interested in seeing how they were able to switch data files with different Quicken IDs.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The fool proof way of switching between Quicken Ids (QID) involves having a dummy data file and use it as a "middle man" when changing.

You already have licenses of Quicken and since it is the QID that decides which features are active at any point in time. So, while you own Premier, the others might own Deluxe, so when you are working with their data file, the Quicken edition will be Deluxe. (Don't buy Starter, there are too many things like Tags which it does not support).

The following is what I wrote for a user wanting to do personal and club on the same computer, so keep that in mind when reading it..

You can switch between editions by going thru Edit→PreferencesQuicken Id, "login as different user".
    To prevent hiccups in your separate data files, make sure that they are both uniquely named and switch between them using this process.
    Create a dummy data file named something like go_between.qdf with no accounts in it, it is just for transitioning between the two Quicken IDs.
    Now, you do NOT want to open your personal data file while the Quicken program is setup for the Club's ID and the same holds true for opening the Club's data file with your personal ID.
    So, that is where the dummy data file comes into play. Lets say you are using your data file and now want to work with the Club's data file.

1. Open the dummy data file using either File→Open Quicken file or picking it from the recent file list on the File menu.
    2. Do Edit→Preferences→Quicken Id and then "login as different user" using the Club's ID.
    3. Open the Club's data file using either File→Open Quicken file or picking it from the recent file list on the File menu.
    4. Do what ever you needed to do.

Now, when you want to work with your personal data file, follow the same procedure except substitute your personal data file and Quicken ID where you used the Club's information.
    I suggest always returning the state of registration of Quicken to your personal Quicken ID and only have it in "Club mode" when it needs to be so that you don't inadvertently open your personal data file with the Club ID.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting info. Can you explain why it is necessary to use this dummy file and what would happen if you do not?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How about simple creating various reports, saving them as password protected PDF files and posting those reports on a website?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• AStuartMills
    AStuartMills Member ✭✭
    Options

thank you.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you don't go thru the dummy file when changing, then you are opening data file B with QID A and Quicken will want to change the registration of file B to QID A and that messes with the QCA things.

By going thru the dummy file, you are always opening the working data file with the desktop program registered to the correct QID. We don't care if the QCA and Quicken get confused with regards to the dummy file.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.