Quicken 2017 blank screen issue

Options
j374
j374 Member

Just moved to a brand new laptop and installing Quicken 2017 on it only to discover that it does not work. I do have a working 2017 installation on my old laptop as well as my Desktop so I do have the old config INI files.

However, I have followed all the threads for various remedies but none of them helped, I am still getting the blank screen. Here are the things I've tried each time un-installing/cleaning up all files from ProgramData and AppData/Roaming then starting over.

• Copying just the Quicken.ini file
  • Copy the entire Intuit folder from my old machine
  • Applying the Quicken patch after installation but before opening quicken post install
  • Not applying the Quicken patch and allowing it to download the patch
  • Doing all this in WiFi offline mode (gives a cannot connect to internet error when starting as it's trying to register so that does not work at all)
  • When I open my QDF file I briefly see the contents before the blank screen so tried clicking on it to see if it bypasses the white box but no go.
  • Scouring the registry to remove any keys left over from uninstall but nothing popped out

At this point i'm out of options. My hunch here is that it's definitely a registry key and not the INI file that's causing it to initiate the registration progress thereby getting stuck at that point.

Any other ideas will be appreciated.

Fortunately I also have a Quicken 2013 setup file so if I can't resolve this my next step is to see if I can do a QIF export then import into 2013. I don't use Quicken anymore so this is only to see and search through my past transactions so very basic functionality.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is my take on why some this works for some people and not for others.

In truth no one outside of Quicken understands how their registration process works (and they aren't about to tell us).

Just looking at all the kinds of problems people can have with it over years tells me that there is a very complicated system going on in the background.

The only reason that the copying of the Quicken.ini file or and creation of it would work is because Quicken seems to check this file first to see if it should ask to register. But that doesn't seem to be the whole story. It definitely looks like Quicken stores some information outside of this file that basically can say "not valid, prompt". What actually triggers this? Unknown.

I use Quicken Subscription, so it doesn't really affect me much, but I use to test with the older versions of Quicken in a virtual machine. As such, I might have at any time have different a different year version installed. Well, I was caught without any of the 2014 to 2017 versions installed when they broke the Quicken Id login on the servers. I have tried a few of the workarounds that have worked for some people, but none have worked for me.

If you do go with a QIF export this information might be helpful to you:

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.