2016 upgrade to current version of quicken

Options
jbrand8
jbrand8 Member

I have Quicken 2016 Deluxe and just got a new computer. I don’t have the install disk, so I have no way I know to transfer 2016 to my new PC. I have been considering upgrading to the new quicken and figured now would be a good time. From what I read, the data from 2016 should convert to the new quicken without an issue? Is that correct? I have transactions going back to the early 2000’s (long time user) so it’s a lot of data I don’t want to lose or get messed up. My plan was to get the new quicken and have it associated with the quicken ID I use on my 2016 version. If something doesn’t go right with the upgrade, can I still use my 2016 version even with the ID now having a subscription attached to it?

Also, if I can get the data converted appropriately part of the reason I want to upgrade is to start downloading data directly into my accounts again. I’ve been doing it manually for awhile. If I add my credit cards, is there a way to not have it pull transactions that occurred before a certain date (i.e. only have transactions from the card that occurred 11/1/2023 or later download). I’ve been doing it manually but not line for line exactly, so the transaction lines won’t match up exactly.

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

After installing subscription Quicken on the new computer, all you need to do is make a Quicken Backup (File menu) of the data file on the old computer (using a thumbdrive to move it) and restore it on the new computer/Quicken (File menu).

You should not have any trouble with the move.

With respect to restarting doing downloads, it is the financial institution that decides how far back the initial download goes, the user has no means of changing that. You undoubtedly will get some duplicates. The easiest way to clean them up is to sort the register by "Date entered" which puts all of the new stuff at the bottom of the register. You can then delete the duplicates leaving only the new ones that you have not previously entered manually.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

After installing subscription Quicken on the new computer, all you need to do is make a Quicken Backup (File menu) of the data file on the old computer (using a thumbdrive to move it) and restore it on the new computer/Quicken (File menu).

You should not have any trouble with the move.

With respect to restarting doing downloads, it is the financial institution that decides how far back the initial download goes, the user has no means of changing that. You undoubtedly will get some duplicates. The easiest way to clean them up is to sort the register by "Date entered" which puts all of the new stuff at the bottom of the register. You can then delete the duplicates leaving only the new ones that you have not previously entered manually.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• GoldStone
    Options

Bump…

Is it possible to upgrade from 2016 version to the latest subscription version without going through backup and restore?

Details:

My PC crashed. I wasn't able to repair Win 10 and had to reinstall it. This forced me to reinstall Quicken 2016. When I try to launch it, I get a blank registration screen. This is a known issue that doesn't have a solution. It seems that my only option is to upgrade to Quicken Classic subscription. I have a copy of my latest QDF file saved by Quicken 2016. The question is, will I be able to open it in the latest version without doing backup and restore?

• GoldStone
    Options

Forgot to mention:

1. I don't have a copy of QUICKEN.INI from C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken. Repairing my blank startup screen in Q2016 is not an option.
    2. I'm in Canada. My QDF was saved in Canadian version of Quicken Home & Business 2016.

• GoldStone
    Options

Sorry, never mind.

I found an old hard drive that used to run Win10 on the same PC. I upgraded the drive a few years ago. The old drive had a good copy of QUICKEN.INI in C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config. I copied the file to the same location on the new hard drive and that did the trick. I'm able to run the new install of Quicken 2016 without getting a blank registration screen. Phew, crisis averted.

This discussion has been closed.