How do I change an account type from "investment" to "spending"?

Options
w E b
w E b Member

How do I change an account type from "investment" to "spending"?

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

For a non-retirement Investment account, you can setup a pseudo checking account to handle all of the cash transactions in the account. In Q, it works exactly the same as a real checking account.

Do TOOLS, Account List and click the EDIT button adjacent to the taxable Investing account … then click the YES Radio button for "Show Cash in a Checking account".

When you do that, the pseudo account will be created and all of the cash transactions in the investing account will be moved to it.

Then, when you download into the investing account, the cash transactions will automatically appear in the pseudo account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry, you can't change an existing account register's "Account Type".
    But I'm guessing, you're asking more about the "Account Intent" (in Edit Account Details / Display options tab). There you can change an account's intent and make the account appear in a different group in the Account Sidebar, within limits.

Are you trying to use a regular brokerage account as if it was a Checking account?
    Some more details on what you're trying to achieve might be helpful.

• w E b
    w E b Member
    Options

I have a checking account that when it was set up in Quicken it was set up as an investment account.

I want to move it out of the Investing category to the Spending/Banking category of my account list.

It seems once the account is labeled as an "investment" account, the "account intent" can only be changed to either "investment" or "retirement".

If an account is not initially intent labeled as "investment", it can be reintented, if you will, to "spending", "savings", "investment", "retirement", "asset".

Also, can't "move" the transactions from an investment account to a "spending or savings" account.

Any ideas? Your help is very much appreciated!

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

For a non-retirement Investment account, you can setup a pseudo checking account to handle all of the cash transactions in the account. In Q, it works exactly the same as a real checking account.

Do TOOLS, Account List and click the EDIT button adjacent to the taxable Investing account … then click the YES Radio button for "Show Cash in a Checking account".

When you do that, the pseudo account will be created and all of the cash transactions in the investing account will be moved to it.

Then, when you download into the investing account, the cash transactions will automatically appear in the pseudo account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• w E b
    w E b Member
    Options

Thanks!

Did as you suggested.

Created a new savings/checking account.

Copied all transactions from the pseudo into it.

Deleted original Investment account.

Problem solved!

Cheers!!

This discussion has been closed.