One step update corrupts account balances.

Options
wjrobert7
wjrobert7 Member ✭✭

Since the middle of September, I have been experiencing data corruption issues when performing one step updates across all accounts in my quicken data file. Usually I am able to correct this via a backup restore and re-linking all of the online services. This time when I download transactions from Discover card approximately 4 years of transaction history is lost, and the account balance is corrupted. There are no error messages displayed after the one step update completes. I have tried multiple backup restores, validate, super validate, account reset, remove and re-add online services. Nothing has corrected this problem.

The re-occurrence of these corruption issues are becoming intolerable so much so that I may have to just abandon quicken altogether. I have been using this software since 2003 and have never experienced corruption issues like this before.

Version R52.33

Build 27.1.52.33

Windows 11 Home, 22H2 Build 22621.2428

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This does sound like a corrupted data file problem. The only other thing I can suggest (if you haven't already) is to first use the Advanced Option of "Create a copy or a template" of the data file and then try validating or super validating that copy. The act of copying can sometimes fix thing enough to have a subsequent validation make the file usable, or if the Copy process itself fails altogether you know that the file probably isn't salvageable. The Copy process will disconnect all Accounts from downloading so you'll have to reconnect them after you're done.

• wjrobert7
    wjrobert7 Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried what you suggested unfortunately the problem still exists. It appears to be related to the one step update feature as when I just updated the Discover account all the data remained in tact. Sure wish they had a way to contact them via email instead of the phone and chat. Requires you to cut out a chunck of time to interact with them. Kinda tired of phone support hold times these days.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"as when I just updated the Discover account all the data remained in tact."

That sounds like a good thing, not a bad thing. Or are you saying that you did this using the Quicken file that had the 4 years missing, and updating didn't "fill in the blanks?" I wouldn't expect that it would as typical "back fill" limits are usually 90 days.

I don't think "chat" is valid for most support issues beyond a simply Yes/No question like "is it Tuesday?" I really wouldn't think email would be any more helpful. I'd advise carving out a time where you can dedicate a couple of hours to trying to get your problem fixed. Support can screen share and see what's going on and direct you in real time as to things to try. It's painful but it doesn't sound to me like there's an simple fix here.

Assuming that one of the September updates is what kicked off your problem, maybe one other thing to try - not holding out a great deal of hope here - is to revert to the August R51.12.

• wjrobert7
    wjrobert7 Member ✭✭
    Options

For all issues, I go back to a known good copy of the Qdata file whether that be a backup or a copy that I have made. Starting with that I work forward to get a up to date non corrupted data file. Sometimes this takes hours. One step update never "fills in the blanks" I always have to avail myself of the 90-day transaction window.

The bigger issue is that I cannot come up with a set of steps to reliably reproduce the problem. It just seems to occur at random times and not always with the same account. This makes any kind of support call non-productive as I am unable to demonstrate the problem.

I may try and revert to the previous version however in the past I have had issues due to new data formats which are unable to be read by the older version.

Thanks for your assistance.

This discussion has been closed.