Backup cleanup

Options
jacsdad
jacsdad Member ✭✭

How can I remove old Backup files (Automatic and Update) that are listed in File . Restore from Backup. A lot of old entries (backup set to last 4 copies).

Tagged:

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Click menu File > Show Backups in Finder. Then just delete (move to the Trash) any backup files you no longer want/need to retain.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

For what it's worth, I always like keeping more than just a handful of backups. Quicken creates a new backup each time you quit the program, so four backups could go back in time just a few days; if you discover a problem with something in your data, going back just a few days may not get you to before the problem began. Since hard drive space is plentiful and backups don't take a lot of space, I recommend setting Quicken to keep at least 10, or even 25 or more backups. The ones it creates automatically will be cleared up (deleted) automatically to keep you at that limit. The ones create prior to installing each update are not delete automatically; you can throw them in the trash periodically. Although… I like having a few backups going back months or even years. Again, this is in case I discover many months belatedly that some transactions were lost or changed and I want to go back to see what those transactions were as of 6 months or a year ago.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I agree with keeping more than a handful of backups. I can easily open Quicken 2-3 times in a day. If I only have 5 backups being kept, I'd only be able to go back one day sometimes.

My strategy is to keep the following: a backup every day for the last week, a backup every three days for the last month, a backup every 15 days for the prior month, and a backup every month before that.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacsdad
    jacsdad Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks… after cleanup when back and adjusted to save 10 backups. Good suggestion.

This discussion has been closed.