Old Password

Options
user8671981
user8671981 Member ✭✭

I have a file from 2014 that I do not remember my password. Is there a way to recover this password or the data within the file?

Comments

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Contact Quicken Support. I can't remember for certain, but they might have a tool to remove the password. You won't find a method to get around the password here on the forum.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not likely. Quicken does offer a PW recovery service for those who have active subscriptions but Quicken 2014 has not been supported since 2017 and this data file is pre-subscription. It wouldn't hurt to try contacting Quicken Support and see if they might be able to and agree to assist you on this matter. Be sure to read this Support Article prior to contacting Quicken because it states what information they will need from you before they can proceed.: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-assisted-password-removal-service.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Although that support article is fairly detailed, the bit about not being able to return the file in an unsupported version is a bit unclear. It doesn't explicitly state whether they can read in the pre-subscription version, convert it, circumvent the password, and return the file in current subscription version. Also, the OP said the file was from 204, but the OP did not indicate which version of Q they are currently running. Maybe, the OP is running the current version of Quicken and maybe Quicken Support can convert the file to that format. There are a couple maybes there. The two maybes depend on two unknowns: (i) what version of Q the OP is running; and (ii) whether Quicken Support can convert the Ver 2014 file to a current version w/o the password.

@user8671981 please take this issue up with Quicken Support and post what learn here for others to reference.

This discussion has been closed.