bug or user error: Investment accounts show up as Savings on Balance Sheet report

Options
Phil Burton
Phil Burton Member, Windows Beta Beta
edited December 2023 in Reports (Windows)

I do a monthly Balance Sheet report. (which is depressing to read because of stock market declines)

I have a number of retirement accounts, which I classify as Investment.

However, in my Balance Sheet report, they are not included in the Investments category

User error? Or software bug?

Been using Quicken (and TurboTax) since DOS days in 1990s.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Neither of your graphics tell us anything.

We'd need to see the ACCOUNT DETAILS graphic for each of the retirement accounts.

TOOLS, Account List … click EDIT adjacent to the account name(s). We only need to see the left half of the graphic.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Phil Burton
    Options

Sorry for the delay in responding.

The attached PDF shows that I have correctly classified some accounts as Investments. Yet in my Balance Sheet report, these accounts are included in the Bank accounts part of the report, and not as Investment accounts.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You are looking at Account Intent. Look at Account Type. It is possible for an account to be of type Savings and have an intent of Investment but it will still be a savings account.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Phil Burton
    Options

@Rocket J Squirrel

You are right. I checked 3 of my "investment" accounts and they were all Account Type "savings." So there is NO BUG, just user error.

So I tried to start all over, entering the name of my investment advisor's company. I got presented with a whole bunch of accounts, which were presented as brokerages accounts identified only "Investment nnnnn." After I added these to Quicken, those accounts were individual funds, and not the aggregated accounts that I wish to track.

So I am guessing that my next step is to contact my investment advisor's tech support people.

This discussion has been closed.