Currency Conversion Issues for Investment Accounts

Options
bennykan
bennykan Member
edited December 2023 in All Things Canadian (Mac)

Hi,

I subscribed to Quicken Canada and I have connected an investment account. My portfolio consists of ETFs in USD and CAD. I found that the balances of the USD ETFs did not get converted to CAD so the total balances are off.

Can you investigate and let me know if you can reproduce the issue.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Any given account can only have one currency. Do you have both a USD account and CAD setup?

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • bennykan
    bennykan Member
    Options

My investment account is a managed account whose portfolio consists of USD and CAD ETFs. The balace of the portfolio is in CAD. Quicken broke the portfolio down to the ETF holdings level but the value of the USD ETF holdings are not converted into CAD, so the overall balance is incorrect.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

As I said, any given account can only have one currency. If you aren't using a separate account for each currency/security in that currency, then what you are doing is telling Quicken that they are all one currency. The one that the account is setup for (the first transaction in the register locks in that currency).

Note if this account is setup as an online account where you are importing transactions into Quicken, you will have to switch to two manually maintained accounts so that you can set them up with the right currencies.

Also, I just noticed this in Quicken Windows US's portfolio view, it will only show the accounts of a given currency at a time. It might be better supported in Quicken Windows Canadian (in general Quicken Window Canadian does have better support than Quicken Windows US, but the one account one currency holds for all versions of Quicken)

The investment reports on the other hand do the conversion.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.