Issues moving data file desktop vs laptop

Options
Charlie@
Charlie@ Member ✭✭✭

I frequently need to copy my data file from my desktop to my laptop while traveling, and then the reverse. Once upon a time there was the option to "Save a File". Using that option I could create a complete copy of my file AND rename it so I could keep track of which data file was the most updated. Now I am forced to use the backup option and there is no choice of renaming the data file. I also discovered that specifying (or later changing) the name of the file itself does NOT change the name of the QDF data file. This creates some issues as you might imagine. Is there no way of changing the name of the QDF data file in the backup file?

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I saw that in the release notes and thought the same thing. Maybe they did fix it.

One more thing about backup and restore, even if it isn't giving you any problems it isn't suggested for copying back and forth between two computers, because every time you do a restore a new cloud dataset is created. And they don't delete these unless you call Quicken Support and request it (some legal thing) and there are a limited amount of them. So, if you keep doing it frequently you will get to a point where it will force you to contact Quicken Support to delete them.

Instead, use a Windows File Copy or you can use backup, but instead of opening up the *.QDF-backup and doing a restore, just rename it to *.QDF and open that, which won't use a restore, it will just open it in place.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you want to copy a QDF file to another machine you can just use Windows File Explorer, or batch file for that matter. But be aware of the fact that all data files have a unique Id in them that connect them to the Quicken Connection Service/Quicken Cloud dataset, which keeps track of things like transactions from Express Web Connect/Express Web Connect + and other online services.

So, you can't willy nilly just jump between different renamed data files and expect them to be "separate".

The only way to really disconnect one data file from another is to use Quicken's copy function, which along with changing the unique Id it will disconnect all online services and they will have to be re-setup.

Basically, you need to only update one data file that is being copied back and forth.

1. Change/update data file on Desktop (as many times as you like before going to next step).
    2. Copy data file to laptop.
    3. Change/update data file on Laptop (as many times as you like before going to next step).
    4. Copy data file to Desktop.
    5. Go to step #1.

Note that the .QDF-backup type is no different internally from a .QDF file. The type is only used to decide if when opened Quicken should do a restore (if it is .QDF-backup) or open it in place (if it is a .QDF). As such one can rename a .QDF-backup to .QDF and open it without triggering a restore.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

P.S. I think one of the main reasons they removed SaveAs is because people were not realizing that if all you do is a standard file copy the two data files are still connected to the same Quicken Cloud dataset and believing them to be separate and using the copy as a template for another data file where you go in and do things like delete accounts and such and expect them to be separate can lead to some very strange "syncing" problems.

Signature:
  • Charlie@
    Charlie@ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the reply Chris. I understand the part about copying the file back and forth (I assume I would just use the "Open Quicken File"?).

But I do not understand what you are saying by "separate" and "disconnecting" the files from each other. I just want to be sure I am using the latest updated file and when all these files have the same name, well, it gets pretty confusing. That is why I would love to be able to assign a different data file ID again.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, you would just use Open Quicken File.

You can rename your data file to whatever you like.

As for the "connected" let me see if I can explain it better. Every Quicken data file has a corresponding set of data on the Quicken servers that is used for storing information about variable online services, like downloading of transactions.

It is hard to see this connection if one doesn't have Sync to Mobile on but can be seen if that is turned on or if in a different data file, you turn it on in look in the right place.

My data file is called Current.QDF. In a test data file I have Sync to Mobile on.

If I go to: Edit → Preferences → Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts in that other data file I get this information:

And if I click on where I have indicated this dialog comes up:

As you can see even though I don't use Sync to Mobile/Web in my "Current.QDF" data file, it still has the "dataset".

So, your data file may look totally independent, but there is always this "Cloud dataset" that has to be kept in sync with it. As long as you are using the more up to date copy of your data file you will not run into any problems. If one makes a copy and then treats it as if it is a different data file, they are going to get into trouble.

The only ways that you can get a data file with a different unique Id so that you aren't trying to sync two different data files to the same Quicken Cloud dataset is either File → New Quicken File… OR File → Copy or Backup → Create a copy or template.

Signature:
  • Charlie@
    Charlie@ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Nice explanation, it makes sense. But here's what happened:

Last evening I performed a data file backup on my laptop (which was the last used). I copied the file onto my desktop and did a restore. I then performed a OSU and it went fine. This morning, a scheduled OSU on the desktop failed for every account that is a web connect. I had to go to each account and do a reset and go thru the re-authorization process. Those actions all completed ok although it was a little time consuming. And now Quicken is extremely sluggish. There is a nearly 60 second delay on startup which normally takes around 3 seconds. Every action is accompanied by a spinning wheel including something as innocuous as closing the OSU Summary window. Very exasperating.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm sorry I thought I mentioned this, but you shouldn't use restore on your laptop. You should either do a Windows File Explorer copy or rename the .QDF-Backup file to .QDF and then open it. In theory what you did should have worked, but they have made the restore "complicated", and things can go wrong like this when it is used.

The first thing Restore now does is sync from the Quicken Cloud dataset (trying to catch it up to current status in case this is an old data file that needs to be brought up to date). In theory that shouldn't be a problem, but if there are any problem in the Quicken Cloud dataset, they will be carried to the Quicken Desktop data file. In this case that doesn't seem to be a problem, but then there is the next thing it does. It creates a new Quicken Cloud dataset and syncs to that. This might explain why on the original machine something isn't "connected" and the One Step Updates fail.

My suggestions on how to fix this is first try logging out and back in. If that doesn't fix it use Quicken's copy function and re-setup the online services in that copy and hopefully all of that will fix it.

Signature:
  • Charlie@
    Charlie@ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

In the midst of all this I was prompted to upgrade to R53.16, and so for no other reason than out of frustration I did. Following this I did a reboot (so I could schedule updates), and now it seems back to normal. So thanks for your help & insights.

I did see this in the release notes and wonder if this had anything to do with my issues?: "Resolved an issue where cloud data was being modified when a user chose not to sync the file in a multi-computer scenario"

And nothing to do with my recent issues, but I am hoping they finally fixed the "enter a valid date", although I did not see that specifically in the release notes.

Cheers, Charlie

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I saw that in the release notes and thought the same thing. Maybe they did fix it.

One more thing about backup and restore, even if it isn't giving you any problems it isn't suggested for copying back and forth between two computers, because every time you do a restore a new cloud dataset is created. And they don't delete these unless you call Quicken Support and request it (some legal thing) and there are a limited amount of them. So, if you keep doing it frequently you will get to a point where it will force you to contact Quicken Support to delete them.

Instead, use a Windows File Copy or you can use backup, but instead of opening up the *.QDF-backup and doing a restore, just rename it to *.QDF and open that, which won't use a restore, it will just open it in place.

Signature:
  • Charlie@
    Charlie@ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Got it. Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.