Why does Update Selected Account also try to update another account?

Options
David Cook
David Cook Member ✭✭

On Quicken Classic Premier Version 7.3.2 (Build 703.50456.100) for Mac.

When I choose Update Selected Online Account, I expect it to only go out to the selected account's financial institution, and not try to download transactions for any other account. With my checking account, this works fine. However, when I ask it to do this with my Chase VISA, it also prompts me for login credentials for a closed Barclays account (which is listed as closed on my accounts list.)

Is there a way to prevent this surprising behavior?

Thanks,

Dave

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Accounts that use Direct Connect can be updated on bank at a time. However, accounts that use Quicken Connect are always updated at the same time, regardless of how many banks are involved. That's the nature of QC and cannot be changed. We've been trying to get Quicken to disable the "Update Selected Account" menu item when you have a QC account selected. Not sure if that will ever happen.

That said, if you used the "Close Account" command to close the Barclays account, it should not be trying to connect. Not sure why that didn't work. But all you need to do is open the account settings for the Barclays account, click the Downloads tab and disable downloads. That should stop it from asking you for the login credentials.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • David Cook
    David Cook Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Rick —

And thanks for the clear answer. I remember a few months back when they turned off "Update selected account" completely, even for bank accts. Without warning. I complained, and apparently others did, too, because it came back eventually just as suddenly.

Re disabling downloads, there is no downloads tab on the Barclays account (maybe because it's closed?)

best,

dave

• RickO
    Options

Yes, I had forgotten the Downloads tab disappears when the account is marked closed. You need to right click on the account and Re-open. Then disable downloads and mark as closed. Hopefully that will work.

• David Cook
    David Cook Member ✭✭
    Options

OK, I did that, and it has a button to "Connect account" so I'm assuming it is already not connected. Shoulkd I report this ads a bug, do you think?

• RickO
    Options

As for reporting, there are a couple options:

1. You can click Help > Report a Problem, however, you will get no feedback from this report, or
    2. You can contact Quicken Support, let them screen share, and see the issue themselves.

Before that though, do you have any other Barclays accounts?

If not, here's a couple things you could try/consider:

1. Click Connect Account and attempt to connect it using your old credentials. If that works, then disconnect it again. If it fails, maybe that will resolve whatever glitch is causing this.
    2. Create a new manual account of the same type as the Barclays account. Drag and drop every transaction from the Barclays register to the new account. Then delete the Barclays account, and rename and close the new account. This will allow you to delete the problematic Barlays account while still preserving its history.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@David Cook I'm wondering if you have, or have had, your desktop Quicien file set to sync with Quicken Cloud, and it's the Cloud server whihc is still downloading. Do you use the companion mobile app or web interface? If you don't, in your Settings > Mobile, Web & Alerts, is Sync set to OFF? If not, try turning it off. Then go to Settings > Connected Services and click the Reset button for Quicken Cloud. This will insure that none of your transaction data or account credentials are in the Quicken Cloud servers.

And as RickO said, make sure you have no other Barclays accounts. Go to Accounts > Hide and Show Accounts to make sure there's nothing else previously associate with Barclays.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.