How to track individual spending on a shared credit card?

Options
kboucher
kboucher Member
edited December 2023 in Using Quicken on the Web

Hi there!

I am using Quicken Simplifi and just getting started. My husband and I are newly married, have not yet combined finances yet, but use a shared credit card for expenses like groceries or going out to dinner. I'm tracking our finances separately for now so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to track individual spending for a shared credit card (right now, he pays me his half the credit card bill monthly). Before using Quicken, I was keeping track of all my expenses on a spreadsheet and any charges made on that card I would just cut in half. Hopefully this makes sense and someone has a suggestion! Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

Answers

• com1padres
    com1padres Member ✭✭
    Options

You could create an expense category called "Husband's Half" or even a new account with that or a similar name. If you go out to dinner for $50, record $25 as meals and $25 as that new account or category. This will ensure that your credit card balance matches the real credit card balance. When he pays his half, you record the payment as an offset to that same account so that the expense all zero out for his half of the expenses. If you set it up as an account instead of a spending category, you could them tell Quicken to keep it as a separate account so that it is not impacting your net worth,

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Look into using TAGS when you record and expense. Perhaps using each person's initials as the tag

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

btw - the Simplifi product is different from Quicken Classic desktop - so you might repost over there … and Tags are also avail

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussions

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.