Purchasing a CD within an IRA investment account

Options
h stansfield
h stansfield Member ✭✭
edited December 2023 in Investing (Windows)

On the advice of my financial adviser, I sold some MF shares and bought a 5 year CD within my Vanguard IRA account. It is accruing interest monthly, but the value of that CD does not show as a holding within the IRA account, it lists in the account transaction record, but is otherwise invisible.

Is there a way to have it show up on the account value and in the holdings? The purchase transaction shows X shares at 100, and each interest transaction lists a number of shares….but where is it?

Best Answer

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

For my Vanguard IRA I made a new security for the Sweep program. I called it Van Sweep IRA. Or I guess it should be Federal Money Market Fund.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When you sold those MF shares, how did you record the transaction in Q? Where did the cash go?

When you bought the CD, did you create a security for it in Q and record the purchase of that security?

re: your last sentence: WHAT purchase transaction? In Q, or at Vanguard?

Fundamentally, to Q, a CD is just another security. Treat it as such.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• h stansfield
    h stansfield Member ✭✭
    Options

I recorded it as a sale of MF in quicken, with a cash balance in the IRA, then the CD purchase was X shares at $100, with it named as a security. But, somehow it's like the cash vanished in quicken—even though the transaction is in the register. I reset the account in vanguard and redownloaded the whole thing, and it looks right now.

It was just really weird that it just kind of vanished in quicken.

This is all at Vanguard.

Another question, related to vanguard, the $'s, if any, that are in the settlement fund don't show up in quicken. Do I create a separate account in quicken for that, or is that considered a fund within the IRA account? I'm just getting started with doing regular IRA withdrawals. Still trying to figure it out.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

For my Vanguard IRA I made a new security for the Sweep program. I called it Van Sweep IRA. Or I guess it should be Federal Money Market Fund.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The cash SHOULD vanish when you purchase the CD … the same as the cash "vanished" when you purchased the MF originally.

But the VALUE of the cash is now represented as the value of the CD.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.