Quicken 2000

Options
lanny.rose
lanny.rose Member
edited December 2023 in Before you Buy

So I've been running quicken 2000 off of a cd since 2000 (windows). I use it essentially as a check register and a means to manually reconcile my accounts. Since new fangled computers don't seem to have any to play a cd and my laptop is dying I was thinking about a quicken upgrade. I tried the new stuff but I'm not necessarily looking for quicken to do all the work for me. Is there any way to do what I want with any of the new products. I realize I'm probably going to get dragged into the 21st century but I'm fighting it!

Thanks!

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would suggest upgrading to the free version of Quicken 2013. You would need to go to Quicken 2004 first and then 2013. You can find the instructions and download links. here. I would suggest buying a new computer first (make sure it's not in Windows 11 S Mode) and installing/upgrading to Quicken 20004 and then 2013.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Like you stated, most new computers don't have CD/DVD drives, but they do have USB. On your old computer, copy the contents of the CD to a USB drive and use it to install Quicken on the new computer.

Greg_the_Geek's advice about S mode still stands,

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you can't get it installed you might be able to convert to a newer version. You can get Q2013 for free at the link below. You will have to go though a couple intermediate versions first to get to 2013. I’m staying on 2013. Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. Then it should be more stable and run on newer computer systems.

FYI - All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like - .IDX, .QEL, .QPH & .QDF, and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF in starting in 2010.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.