Quicken 2015 Upgrade to current subscription

Options
Pencil_Pusher
Pencil_Pusher Member
edited December 2023 in Before you Buy

I currently have Quicken 2015 Home and Business. I am thinking of updating to the latest version with a subscription in case my computer dies and I have trouble reinstalling. It looks like Quicken Deluxe would work for me because I don't have a business. Will I have any issues updating to Quicken Deluxe from my current version?

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Upgrading from QWin 2015 H&B to QWin Deluxe Subscription should be no problem at all. But if you are simply wanting to upgrade as a proactive data protection measure and you really don't want or need the online services (such as downloading of transactions and securities prices) then you might want to wait until you have replaced your current computer. The most significant improvements of Subscription over QWin 2015 regards online services and if that is not important to you or needed by you then upgrading to Subscription will not be buying you much.

Note that QWin Subscription is computer-based and still saves your data file on your hard drive so if your computer crashes then Subscription alone will not protect your data. The best proactive protection you can do is to make sure you are backing up your data file on a regular basis. I recommend at least 1X/week and save at least 2-3 wks of backup files (I backup my data file after every session and save the last 35 days).

You can save the backups on your hard drive but that will not provide the proactive protection from a computer crash that you are seeking. Instead, backup your backup file to either a Cloud storage site (like OneDrive or Dropbox) or on an external drive such as a thumb drive, external hard drive, network server, CD-RW or DVD-RW. (I probably would not do the CD-RW or DVD-RW because most new computers do not come with those drives. If you would need to restore a backup file from one of these on a new computer you might need to buy an external CD-RW or DVD-RW drive.)

Let me know if you have any questions.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Upgrading from QWin 2015 H&B to QWin Deluxe Subscription should be no problem at all. But if you are simply wanting to upgrade as a proactive data protection measure and you really don't want or need the online services (such as downloading of transactions and securities prices) then you might want to wait until you have replaced your current computer. The most significant improvements of Subscription over QWin 2015 regards online services and if that is not important to you or needed by you then upgrading to Subscription will not be buying you much.

Note that QWin Subscription is computer-based and still saves your data file on your hard drive so if your computer crashes then Subscription alone will not protect your data. The best proactive protection you can do is to make sure you are backing up your data file on a regular basis. I recommend at least 1X/week and save at least 2-3 wks of backup files (I backup my data file after every session and save the last 35 days).

You can save the backups on your hard drive but that will not provide the proactive protection from a computer crash that you are seeking. Instead, backup your backup file to either a Cloud storage site (like OneDrive or Dropbox) or on an external drive such as a thumb drive, external hard drive, network server, CD-RW or DVD-RW. (I probably would not do the CD-RW or DVD-RW because most new computers do not come with those drives. If you would need to restore a backup file from one of these on a new computer you might need to buy an external CD-RW or DVD-RW drive.)

Let me know if you have any questions.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Pencil_Pusher
    Options

Thanks. I do a back-up whenever a message comes up when I close out of Quicken. And at the end of he month I back-up Quicken (as well as other files) to an external hard drive.

This discussion has been closed.