Accounts Overdrawn after latest Quicken version update

Options

Hello, After I updated my Quicken software to Quicken Classic PREMIER version R53.16 (27.1.53.16) on my Windows 11 Home desktop (Updated Last Thursday on November 16th, 2023), all of my cash accounts are now overdrawn. For example, I have a savings account that is overdrawn for $41,000.00. I have my car payment account that’s been “Paid off,” but I actually owe money on it still, etc.

I contacted Quicken support twice and we tested a backup recovery – the problem remains. My computer support contact recommended that I go back to the previous version I had and then restore the last known accurate backup. He was able to locate a non-affiliated website that hosts MONDO Patches where “Release 52.33 Mondo” is available:

(Link removed due to website policy) :(

It seems like corruption after a Quicken version update is not terribly uncommon! I intend to contact Quicken support a third time and request tier two support. I would really appreciate it if anyone here could advise on the situation.

Thanks in advance.

-Mr Bridges

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

On your exact problem here is an idea.

I suspect that the version of Quicken that you have installed has nothing to do with the problem or at minimum will not fix the problem.

Quicken Subscription's data files aren't completely standalone. There is a Quicken Cloud dataset on the server that is associated with every Quicken Desktop data file.

It is very possible that whatever happened corrupted the Quicken Cloud dataset. And that means that restoring the Quicken Desktop data file might not fix the problem.

You can certainly try the older version of Quicken.

You can also try this use Windows File Explorer to make a copy or your *.QDF-Backup file.

Change that from *.QDF-Backup to *.QDF, and open that file.

Internally .QDF and .QDF-Backup files are the same. Quicken only uses the file extension/type to decide if it is going to open the file in place (.QDF) or do a restore (.QDF-Backup). Part of Restore is to sync from the Quicken Cloud dataset.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can get the previous patches from here:

https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has

I don't know why Quicken support wouldn't know about that URL given it is an official Quicken Inc page, but I guess because it has "expired" on it they don't associate with being able to be used for this purpose too.

Out of curiosity, was the place they pointed you to for the patches my website?

Given that Quicken Inc doesn't make the patches before Quicken Subscription available, and that the above URL is "sort of new", my website has such patches on it.

But clearly, if one can get them from the official Quicken Inc website they should.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

On your exact problem here is an idea.

I suspect that the version of Quicken that you have installed has nothing to do with the problem or at minimum will not fix the problem.

Quicken Subscription's data files aren't completely standalone. There is a Quicken Cloud dataset on the server that is associated with every Quicken Desktop data file.

It is very possible that whatever happened corrupted the Quicken Cloud dataset. And that means that restoring the Quicken Desktop data file might not fix the problem.

You can certainly try the older version of Quicken.

You can also try this use Windows File Explorer to make a copy or your *.QDF-Backup file.

Change that from *.QDF-Backup to *.QDF, and open that file.

Internally .QDF and .QDF-Backup files are the same. Quicken only uses the file extension/type to decide if it is going to open the file in place (.QDF) or do a restore (.QDF-Backup). Part of Restore is to sync from the Quicken Cloud dataset.

Signature:
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Shouldn’t Quicken support know that restore syncs with the Quicken cloud and that cloud corruption could then corrupt all attempts at restoring a back up?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Mr Bridges
    Options

Chris_QPW - Chris, a friend of mine helped me compose and post the Question. He specializes more in computer security, QuickBooks and some Quicken. He may have discovered your website but thought it may be better to post the question and see if anyone responded. Me, personally, I understood nothing about what you said, other than to know I've heard the words you used.

To answer the big question, why didn't Quicken help? Well, called them 2x to get no joy! I would guess the two people I intracted with were uninformed about the cloud syn with restore. I have used Quicken since "Quicken 1998" forward.

My plans at this point is to esclate my problem to the next level of help. 😒

I will keep your website in mind when speaking to my computer friend. Thank you for replying.

• Mr Bridges
    Options

mshiggins - To answer your question, One would think a Quicken Rep know about the syning when it's part of the restore process. I spoke to two different reps, both who seemed in the dark. The second rep couldn't be bothered, to close to going home time, it was 1650 hrs his time.

• Mr Bridges
    Options

Hi Chris,

My IT Support said that your website is the one he found. With his help today, we tested your recommendation of renaming the backup to side-step the cloud sync issue and the accounts are no longer overdrawn. Thank you for that! I’m going to go through and verify the accounts and, also, make sure that my online services are established.

Thank you all for your amazing support,

Mr Bridges

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

On the subject of the support people not knowing this or that. One really needs to be realistic in their expectations on what these people will know. Quicken Inc couldn't afford staffing with real experts on all of this.

I also wonder how much extra they actually tell the support people over what they tell the users. A good portion of what I have stated you will not find in any Quicken documentation, I had to figure it out on my own. And I will point out that because of that I also might not have it 100% correct.

Quicken Inc and Intuit before them seem to thrive on keeping people in the dark about some parts of the operations.

Another thing to realize is that first line support from what I can see is in foreign countries. That basically means that those people can't even use Quicken or at least use the online features for their own personal use.

Signature:
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It boggles my mind to think that Quicken Inc seems to have no way of informing their tier one support staff about trending issues and how to resolve or work around them.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

From what I understand they do have this, but "trending issues" probably means that a lot of people have to have the same problem before it is passed around. They have created such a complicated system; I doubt there is anyone that truly understands it all, let alone someone that might have been hired 2 weeks ago.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.