Built in Reports do not retain setting

Options
MrZipp
MrZipp Member ✭✭✭
edited January 6 in Reports (Windows)

Portfolio Value Graph, Allocation by Account and perhaps others - these are built in Quicken reports - fail to keep the setting for ALL Securities. This same behavior occurs in Custom reports at times.

When ALL securities are selected for ANY report, that selection should be the default unless changed by the user. It is VERY frustrating to have to choose Customize and check and see if ALL securities are included in the report or graph.

This has been a problem for a long time.

All should mean All and the selection should remain with the report if chosen.

PLEASE consider the fix to this ongoing issue.

Thanks so much

Mr. Zipp

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Can you give an example please?

When you open one of the built in reports, all securities should always be selected.

For saved reports, Quicken should keep the securities selected when you saved the report, and you can specify how it should handle newly added securities.

Or are you referring to Portfolio views?

QWin Premier subscription
  • MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry for the delay. Kinda busy here!

On the My Money page, I chose to keep a few reports there.

Portfolio Graph by Account, Allocation by Account do NOT keep All Securities for me. I have to change it every time.

But Net Worth by Assets and Liabilities DOES seem to keep the All Securities checked

Most of my custom reports work fine. Thanks for asking about this!!

Mr Zipp

• Jim_Harman
    Options

OK, this is a graph on the Classic Home Page, not what we would usually call a report.

Is it newly added securities that are not included in the graph, or hidden or newly un-hidden securities perhaps?

Do you see any sort of pattern to what is not included?

Can you come up with a set of steps that causes the missing securities, or does it seem totally random?

• MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thx for the response. For me, I WOULD call those reports :) All of the securities are shown, as far I can tell, but the report seems to think something is missing. This happens every day. I Customize the two bad actors, but they continue this pattern.

I DO have show hidden securities checked. The report would be worthless without everything shown, at least for me. Not sure how to permanently save my choice.

This used to happen to my customized reports often, but I did a full rebuild of them and it seems to be holding. I can't do similar to the built in reports (and graphs) as far as i know.

Mr. Zipp

• Jim_Harman
    Options

To be clear, "built in reports" are the default reports you access from the Quicken Standard Reports section of the Reports > Reports & Graphs Center or the other Reports menu items.

You are talking about things on the Home tab views, right?

Are you saying that when you click on the gear to customize the Home page Portfolio Value graph, titled "Portfolio Value by Account", all of your securities are selected but sometimes they are not included in the graph data? Or is it that when you select All Securities they are all selected and displayed correctly but then when you close and restart Quicken some are de-selected?

Please describe as clearly as possible exactly what you are seeing.

• MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭
    Options

What I was trying to say was that the check box defaults to "only include selected securities" after i close and restart Quicken. Even though I change it to "include all securities", it doesn't stay on the reports (graphs) that I mentioned.

This happens on Porfolio by Account and Allocation by Account. It doesn't happen on the Net Worth by Assets and Liabilities report (graph).

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Let's just look at the Portfolio Value Graph or now. I click on the gear at the top right and under "View by" I select Security. Is that your setting, or have you selected something different?

Then I go to Customize this graph, I set the date range to Last year, and on the Securities tab I check the Show hidden securities box and then select "Include all securities". Everything in the Select Securities area below is selected. I click on OK and for me the title of the graph ends with "147 securities", which is the total number of securities in my data file. I would have expected it to say "All securities" instead. Is that the same as what you are seeing?

If I click on the gear again and go back to Customize this graph, the radio button has changed to "Include only selected securities" but all my securities are still selected. Are you saying that if you follow these steps, some of your securities are not selected?

• Jim_Harman
    Options

… More:

If I close and re-open Quicken then add a new security then go to the Portfolio Value Graph, the title ends in All securities, but if I customize the graph and look at the Securities tab, the radio button is on "Include only selected securities" and the newly added security is not checked.

If I then close and re-open Quicken, the new security is still not selected.

If I select "Include all securities" in the customization, the new security is selected and the selection appears to stick. Does that match what you are seeing?

If so, this issue appears to be related to other places in Quicken where "All securities" really means "All securities that were in the selection list when the settings were saved". When you save an actual Quicken report and not one of these Home tab panels, you are prompted to specify how you want newly added accounts and securities to be handled - ignore, ask whether to include them, or always include them.

• MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I believe you are seeing what I am seeing. Whether or not all of the securities are selected, the Include All Securities is not. To me, it's the same as saying Include All Accounts, Or Include All Dates.

It's not comfortable to me if I'm not sure if everything is included unless I have chosen that. For example, I only choose Some of my Accounts, and in my Custom Reports, I obviously often only choose Some of the Categories, or I wouldn't have a need for the Custom Report.

So, going back to my original mantra - All should mean All. Custom should mean Not All.

Again, thanks for understanding this issue.

Mr. Zipp

• Jim_Harman
    Options

I agree.

Forum Moderators sometimes review issues discussed here and refer them to Development, but if you want Quicken to work on a problem, I recommend you contact Support via phone.  Be sure the support agent understands the problem and gives you a ticket number for future reference.

You should also use the Help > Report a Problem menu in Quicken to submit the issue online. In your submission, be as clear and thorough as possible. Reference the ticket number and provide a link to this discussion. Provide step by step instructions to reproduce the problem. You will not get a response to an electronic submission, but they say they review and prioritize the submissions. 

• MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your sincere effort to understand. Your interest and clear thinking are awesome!

Mr. Zipp

This discussion has been closed.