how to adjust balances after update

Options
jimf2
jimf2 Member

I just upgraded to version 27.1.52.28. I haven't updated my subscription in 32 months. How can I reset my balances to reflect my current balances? I have my last 12 month's updates (Oct 2022 5 to Oct 2023) ready to load, but if I load this data, how would I go about adjusting the balance in Quicken to what my Bank account reflects?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

So, in other words, you will have a 20 months gap in transactions after you enter the last 12 months of transactions, right?

There are a few ways that come to mind to close that gap that you might want to consider:

• Log into your online account(s). See if they offer downloads in .QFX format (sometimes also referred to as "Quicken" or "Web Connect" formats). If they do, download the missing transactions via that format and then import the file into Quicken making sure to Link the import to your account already in Quicken.
    • Or, forget about downloading to fill the gap and manually enter all of the missing transactions.
    • Or, forget about filling in the missing transactions entirely and, after entering the last 12 months of transactions, simply Reconcile the account (Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Reconcile). You can decide whether to reconcile to a Statement or, if you are downloading transactions, to the Online Balance. This process should enter an account balancing transaction that will bring the current account balance in the register up to date.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi jimf2,

I'd like to make sure that I understand your current situation before attempting to give you my advice.

I think you are saying:

1. You have updated your Quicken program for the fist time in the past 32 months. Is that correct? If not please explain further.
    2. If the above is true, does that also mean that you have not entered transactions - or downloaded transactions - into your Quicken datafile for the past 32 months? Or, is it simply that you have been using the same Quicken application for the 32 months while you have been downloading transactions, and/or making transaction entries, into Quicken for this time frame, while using an "older version" of Quicken?

Get back to us and we will go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jimf2
    jimf2 Member
    Options

Hi Frankx,

Re questions:

Q: You have updated your Quicken program for the first time in the past 32 months. A: Correct.

Q: The above is true: therefore, I have not entered transactions - or downloaded transactions - into your Quicken datafile for the past 32 months.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

So, in other words, you will have a 20 months gap in transactions after you enter the last 12 months of transactions, right?

There are a few ways that come to mind to close that gap that you might want to consider:

• Log into your online account(s). See if they offer downloads in .QFX format (sometimes also referred to as "Quicken" or "Web Connect" formats). If they do, download the missing transactions via that format and then import the file into Quicken making sure to Link the import to your account already in Quicken.
    • Or, forget about downloading to fill the gap and manually enter all of the missing transactions.
    • Or, forget about filling in the missing transactions entirely and, after entering the last 12 months of transactions, simply Reconcile the account (Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Reconcile). You can decide whether to reconcile to a Statement or, if you are downloading transactions, to the Online Balance. This process should enter an account balancing transaction that will bring the current account balance in the register up to date.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• jimf2
    jimf2 Member
    Options

Hey Boatnmaniac,

Thanks!. I think the last option might be the best as even when I was actively using Quicken before, the totals did not match.

So many times I thought to just 'start again' as a new account. I'll check this reconcile option out.

This discussion has been closed.