Where is the Lifetime Overview report in Quicken Canada?

Options
Diana
Diana Member ✭✭✭

The latest Canadian release notes for update R53.17 (Nov 2023) says:

"The Lifetime Overview" report is now available for Quicken Classic Premier and higher tiers, providing a comprehensive view of your financial life over time, including net worth, spending and income trends."

There is no "Premier" tier or higher in quicken Canada. Is this report available in Canada?

Comments

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

In the Canadian Home & Business Version, you can find the Lifetime Overview report under Reports —> Net Worth & Balances —> Lifetime Overview.

• Diana
    Diana Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Thanks! I tried updating to the new release and had a lot of trouble with it. 4 hours later … and I'm finally back up but on the older version. I'll wait to update for another couple of weeks.

Note: There is no such thing as Quicken Canada Premier. I really wish that Quicken was up to date on Quicken Canada offerings!

• Arctic Hare
    Options

I wish Quicken would correctly represent the Canadian product in many ways…

FWIW - I didn't have any issues updating to the latest release.

• Rick  B
    Rick B Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I have Canadian Deluxe , installed R53.17. The report is not there

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm guessing there is no explicit Premier version for Canada - therefore none of the implied Premier "features" are NOT avail -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You got to love it when they can't even write the release notes correctly, but not really too surprising to me. I think at this point they aren't even dealing with two branches anymore. Instead, just at the most some compile time variables, and actually think it might be runtime code with the information connected to the Quicken Id making the determination of what to do.

Because of the fact that years ago I did a beta for Canada and got my Quicken Id connected to the Canadian release this is what I see when I go to create a new data file:

So, when they put this feature in the US version, unless they took steps to block when running in the Canadian version (same code different variable setting) they get it without any extra effort. And in this case, it seems they neither bothered to even change the release note, and I will bet the "What's new" says the same thing "Premier".

From what I understand, this is the current state of the different editions for US and Canadian.

Both US and Canadian Starter are about the same.

The US version of Deluxe includes investment accounts and tracking, the Canadian version doesn't.

The US has the Premier version for extra functionality in the investments, and tax reports, and they are adding things to definitely try to separate it from the Deluxe version. Pretty much "new functionality goes into Premier". In fact, not too long ago they accidentally put the RSU functionality into Deluxe (US), and then pulled it back and the next release (Premier and above only).

For the Canadian users they have always had to buy the "Home & Business" edition to get investment features, so you can think of it as a combination Premier and Business (with some of the Premier features missing, especially ones that only available in the US, I think that is like Zillow, X-Ray Portfolio, …)

Note that a while ago the US "Home & Business" edition as removed and the edition above Premier was has all the possible functionality including Rental. The Canadian version has never had Rental support.

All this makes it guess work if XXX Premier functionality is in the Canadian Home & Business edition especially when the release notes and all reference the no existing "Premier".

In this case, it is clearly in the Canadian Home & Business edition.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Diana
    Diana Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Chris_QPW

I have Quicken Deluxe (Canada) and it does actually include Investment accounts. I double-checked on Quicken.ca and that is the case. At one point, quicken.ca did say they were not included but in fact those accounts were.

Getting back to Quicken not really understanding Canadian versions … the Quicken.ca website says that Quicken H&B (Canada) includes generating Schedule B and Schedule D tax reports. These are IRS (U.S.) tax reports. Maybe if you are filing a return in the U.S. you might need them? That seems to be the only 'advantage' for investments in Quicken H&B (Canada).

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Diana thanks for the update on that. About a year ago I found out that they made a change to the Starter Canadian edition so maybe whenever that changed, they also changed what the Deluxe includes. I didn't go into the Starter edition above other than say they were about the same. In the case of the US subscription Starter never included even loan accounts, but the Canadian did. Then a while ago one of the moderators corrected me saying that it no longer did because I noticed that the Canadian website said that the Starter edition didn't have loans, and I posted that seemed wrong, but was in fact correct these days.

I suspect this happened at the same time they (also suspect) merged the two branches of development. For very long time it was obvious that the Canadian version was on a separate development branch. But as my screenshot above shows, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. The first indicator I got of it was that people complaining that they could no longer change some tax files in the Quicken programs files folder and have those changes show up. One of the main differences between the US and Canadian version is those tax lines. It seems that they stopped using the external files. This makes perfect sense because a single external file can only be US or Canadian, not both. So, they changed it so that they could flip based on the subscription. Another indication is that the version numbers of the Canadian releases started to look just like the US version.

And your comment makes "perfect sense" code wise (but not logical for the actual product):

Getting back to Quicken not really understanding Canadian versions … the Quicken.ca website says that Quicken H&B (Canada) includes generating Schedule B and Schedule D tax reports. These are IRS (U.S.) tax reports. Maybe if you are filing a return in the U.S. you might need them? That seems to be the only 'advantage' for investments in Quicken H&B (Canada).

Of late Quicken Inc has been putting more and more into the US Premier version do separate it from the Deluxe one, but the old "what is different" on the website went something like this. First off, they downplayed that Deluxe even did investment transactions. Then they basically tried to make it sound like Premier was the "investment" edition, "with extra investment and tax reports".

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

I think a long time ago someone made a mistake and allowed Deluxe to have the investment features, and it has been griping them ever since. 😉🤣

"extra tax reports", used to be exactly what you said "Schedule B and Schedule D tax reports". Which BTW there is a general tax report in the US Deluxe edition that gives Schedule B and Schedule D, it just isn't nicely broken out. So, this "extra" meant very little to people.

So, the fact that it shows up in the Canadian H&B which seems to be a "subscription that combines Premier features and Business" means that the US tax reports sort just got "forgotten" or maybe planning that someday we will finally get a full combined US and Canadian version of Quicken Windows like Quicken Mac already has.

Signature:
  • Diana
    Diana Member ✭✭✭
    Options

For those of you looking for the Lifetime Overview Report, I just found it!!

It is not appear when you use the pull down menu for 'Reports' and try to find it. Instead, if you open the 'Reports and Graph Center' option in that pull down menu, you will find 'Lifetime Overview' under the 'Net Worth & Balances'.

Have fun with it. It's an interesting presentation of data.

Diana

• Arctic Hare
    Options

You missed the second comment in this thread from Nov 27, which indicated the location of that report.

• Diana
    Diana Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Arctic Hare

I did see your comment but was unable to find it as you described. The report was not there on my version.

But I found it under the Reports & Graph Center.

So I thought others might be having the same trouble finding it as well. It's a fun report. Thx for your help though.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Diana What edition of Quicken are you using, Home & Business?

Signature:
  • Diana
    Diana Member ✭✭✭
    Options

To @Chris_QPW . I am using Quicken Deluxe version R53.17. Both R53.16 and R53.17 have the same hiding spot for the Lifetime report.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's what I thought. You just caught them in a programming bug. Someone forgot to make the report in the Report & Graphs Center show up based on the edition level.

It wouldn't be the first time they made a mistake like this.

And at this point I think people should keep as quite about it as possible.

Signature:
  • Arctic Hare
    Options

i.e. the report isn't supposed to be available in the Deluxe version. That is a slip through.

• grimmt1957
    grimmt1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

In the Deluxe version, when you click on the Lifetime Overview report, you are rewarded with:
    "(Available in Premier and Home & Business)" and a button that displays "Unlock Report". I assume this gives you a choice to upgrade - I wasn't about to click on it.

So it's not available, it's only provided as a teaser.

• Diana
    Diana Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @grimmt1957

So, that's just weird. I have the option to create this report using Quicken Deluxe when I am in my main data file. But when I open an older data file from years ago, it presents me with the same upgrade choice that you saw. I'm not interested in paying more just for one report.

I know I had trouble installing the latest update. Finally got it working. So maybe that has something to do with it? Hard to know.

I'm sure it will disappear over time. But it is pretty strange to get that report using Quicken Deluxe if I'm not supposed to.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken works in strange ways. 🤣

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.