Schwab accounts with separate data files

Options
tina_b
tina_b Member ✭✭

I have two separate Quicken data files - one personal and one for an llc. I have separate accounts with Schwab (one personal and one for the business), and I access both of them using the same Schwab user id and password.

I used to be able to download the personal account to my personal Quicken data file and the business account to my business Quicken data file.

Something changed in the past few months though. When I try to ignore one account I need to ignore it for both data files. Or I have to add it to both data files.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or did the functionality change?

Tagged:

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What Quicken Edition - Home, Business & Rental Property - or ....? What Quicken Release - in the form Rnn.nn?
    [Both answers can be found at Help > About Quicken.]

Should we assume you are referring to Schwab "brokerage" accounts (rather than bank or credit card accounts)? And should we assume you have designated one of the Quicken Schwab brokerage accounts as a "Business" account and the other as a "Personal" account?

"Something changed in the past few months though. When I try to ignore one account I need to ignore it for both data files. Or I have to add it to both data files."

I don't understand. Why would you need to "ignore" one account? If each Quicken file had only one Schwab account activated, there should be nothing to "ignore" in Quicken. Were you re-Authorizing the downloads at the Schwab web site?  If so, why?

Please explain in more detail how it used to work, what caused you to believe it was no longer working, and what you attempted to do to address the problem.

[I have multiple accounts at Schwab (none of which are "business" accounts)
    - I tested downloading one Schwab brokerage account to a Quicken "Personal" investment account in one test Quicken file, and another Schwab brokerage account to a Quicken "Business" account in a separate Quicken test file. I had no problem. I tested in Home, Business & Rental Property, R53.16.]

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When you set up your EWC+ connection in one file with Schwab for your business accounts are you selecting only the business accounts to be downloaded?

And then when you set up your EWC+ connection in the other file with Schwab for your personal accounts are you selecting only the personal accounts to be downloaded?

If so, then I think you are overwriting the previous download instructions given to Schwab with new download instructions.

If this is what is happening, you might want to try setting up Schwab for EWC+ and make sure to select all the business and personal accounts for download. Do this for both the business and personal files. It should then download data for all of the accounts into each file. During the process you should get a popup asking you to decide what to do with the downloaded data. In the business file, select "Do not add" for the personal accounts and if prompted make sure to link the downloaded business accounts to the Quicken business accounts. In the personal file, select "Do not add" for the business accounts and if prompted make sure to link the downloaded personal accounts to the Quicken personal accounts.

Does this resolve the issue for you?

If not, then there might be some sort of cross-communication occurring between your business and personal data files. There are some troubleshooting steps that can be taken to determine if that might be happening and to fix that issue.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Boatnmaniac

I tested downloading to 2 different Quicken files using 2 different approaches: both tests succeeded.

Approach 1:  I "authorized" only 1 Schwab account for each file (personal for one file, business for the other).  Only the appropriate authorized account showed up as "discovered" in the Quicken Add Account process in each Quicken file. 

[I believe the "authorization" process keeps track of the Quicken file name associated with the authorization (the Quicken file that is open during the authorization process), so there is no confusion when using a different file for each account to be downloaded.]

Approach 2:  I "authorized" both accounts for both files. When Quicken presented the 2 accounts it "discovered" for each file, I chose "Do Not Add" for the account that did not belong.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@mshiggins -

Approach 1:  I "authorized" only 1 Schwab account for each file (personal for one file, business for the other).  Only the appropriate authorized account showed up as "discovered" in the Quicken Add Account process in each Quicken file. 

[I believe the "authorization" process keeps track of the Quicken file name associated with the authorization (the Quicken file that is open during the authorization process), so there is no confusion when using a different file for each account to be downloaded.]

Well, that's certainly what should happen so it's good to know. I wonder if different people get different results kind of like what happens with EWC+ when 2 sets of accounts using 2 different of logins/setups from the same FI….some people are able to successfully set up both sets of accounts while other say that can do one or the other but not both?

Certainly, there is still a lot to be learned about EWC+.

Approach 2:  I "authorized" both accounts for both files. When Quicken presented the 2 accounts it "discovered" for each file, I chose "Do Not Add" for the account that did not belong.

Good to know. In theory I knew that should have worked. It's good to know that your test confirmed it did work.

I am looking forward to hearing what @tina_b comes back with.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• tina_b
    tina_b Member ✭✭
    Options

After deleting all of the sign-in info for all of my Schwab accounts and re-registering all of them, it's working correctly. Not sure what the original issue was, but hopefully that's the end of it.

This discussion has been closed.