How to report charitable donations to a “specific” charity via Payee or Memo (edit)

Options
HaventGotAClue
HaventGotAClue Member ✭✭

Am I doing something wrong?

Over the year, I make donations to charities either by a check or a credit card chage.

For the checks, the payee is the charity name. and the category is charity.

For credit cards, there'll be 1 transaction payment to the payee of 'credit card company'. And the category is split transaction - maybe $500 in the category charity and memo being charity name. And $2000 for credit card payments.

I want to see how much I've donated so far this year to a specific charity.

If I go into spending report, filter on category charity, I get the full credit card payment amount for those payments that have a portion going to that charity. And I'm realizing it's a memo of the charity name. Checks have payee of the charity name.

So I can't see a list of payments to a specific charity!? again, checks have payee of the charity name. Credit cards have a memo of the charity.

Any advice? My wife's on my case because we are late for Sharing Tuesday…

Tagged:

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You need to create an account in Quicken for the credit card and record the individual credit card transactions in it. Then each transaction can have a Payee and Category that is appropriate.

You then show your credit card account payment as a transfer from checking to it. Quicken transfers are done by using the receiving account's name in square brackets, i.e. [Visa] and a matching transaction will be created in the CC account with [checking] as the payment. Obviously, your account names will be different, but that is the concept.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

just tried it - and looks like you can create a Spending Report - but only for EITHER the matching Payee or the Memo - not both -
    I tried the "Payee contains" and also filled in the "Memo contains" and it appeared to need to match both elements -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How are you entering the credit card charges? You should not be splitting out the payment from the checking account.

The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. Then when you pay the credit card bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account (not a category). Then if or when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this… [credit card] or newer Mac versions have a separate Transfer column.

I used to do it the wrong way for years! Then I wised up and now enter them properly. I would split my credit card payment into all the categories on one transaction in my checking account. And since I always pay more than the bill I would need to figure the difference and put it to another category. But then I needed to have them entered on the date the charges actually happened, especially at year end for taxes. So I finally set up a credit card account. It makes it much easier to enter and balance!

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ss mentioned by @volvogirl - you really need to have a separate account for the Credit Card -
    Actually, Quicken should reflect your real world - so each real world account should have a Quicken account -
    Then each CC charge is exactly entered or downloaded in its own register -
    and then a SINGLE [Transfer] is made from [Checking] to the [Credit card] account…. the [bracket] is used as the Category for transfers.

For credit cards, there'll be 1 transaction payment to the payee of 'credit card company'. And the category is split transaction - maybe $500 in the category charity and memo being charity name. And $2000 for credit card payments.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.