Side Bar: Account balance differs from report balance

Options

Why is the side bar balance for one account significantly different than the report?

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Could it be that your Account Bar amount has future transactions in it, in other words, is it showing the Ending Balance vs the Current Balance.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What kind of account? If it is an investment account check the price history. You might have a price dated in the future.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• dtjonasson
    dtjonasson Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue running Quicken Classic Deluxe, current versions….. V 53.32 Build 27.1.53.32, although I think this problem has been around for a while.

The issue is seen in a simple bank account (ie interest only, no variable/shares)

The difference between the account bar and the reports is significant (37K)

The difference is NOT future transactions (I can toggle the account bar display and get the same amount either way)

Nor is it "cleared" transactions, although the difference goes down to about 11K

I too have lots of old information …. This account starts in 2005.

I have validated the file and also exported and re imported so the file has been rebuilt

Can anybody point me in a direction to bring the reports and the account bar to the same value?

thanks

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You mention that the difference is between the report and Account Bar. What about between the register and the Account Bar?

When you bring a report into this picture there can be all kinds of differences depending on how that report is setup, and in fact there are known bugs that saved reports sometimes get messed up and have to be recreated.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jtorr
    jtorr Member ✭✭
    Options

Cant you just get a report that mirrors the register without any filters?

I've tried, but still get the same discrepancies between the sidebar/register and the basic account balance report.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The account bar totals can be set to either show the current balance or the ending balance.

When showing the current balance shows what the balance is today, and the ending balance it what the balance is on the last transaction in the register. But to add to this the reminders can be included in any given account, and they may change either the current or the ending balance depending on their date.

The reports never include reminders. While in the register is you select Ctrl+P it will print (to a file if you like) about the closest "unfiltered" report you are going to get (has running balance). But note the report is a fixed format, it doesn't care what columns you are showing in the register. There is a "Register Report", but it doesn't include the running balance (gear icon → More Reports → Register Report).

If you select the clock icon at the top left of the register you can turn off the reminders showing in the register to get a better comparison.

Signature:
  • jtorr
    jtorr Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, very helpful.

So, when I print my unfiltered bank report, I get my sidebar balance now. which is my register balance.

How can I track down why my report balance is different?

I sure would like to run a report on my net worth as it is today, never mind all the reminders etc.

jt

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You need to specify what reports you are talking about, at this point I can't tell what reports you are talking about.

Note for Net Worth there is the Report → Net worth & Balance → Net Worth report, which should total to the New Worth of the Account bar provided that the Account bar is set to show the current balances (right click on a blank part of the Account bar to select this option). Then only reason I can think of it wouldn't be the same is if you have reminders in the register showing and there are some overdue ones.

Past that, you would look at the account balances in both and find which are different and go from there.

Signature:
  • chairman39
    chairman39 Member ✭✭
    Options

Actually I spoke on the phone to Quicken and they solved it. My sidebar had picked up some old balances for some reason. Once I removed them the two reports are in sync.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's great. Thanks for reporting back here.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.