Can't drag categories within the Category window anymore (Q Mac 7.4)

Options
LarryR
LarryR Member

Hello all.

I'm running Quicken Mac Classic Version 7.4.0 (Build 704.51545.100) on a Macbook Pro M2 (macOS Sonoma 14.0).

I just upgraded to v7.4.0 by prompt from within Quicken. Now, when I select Window|Categories, select a category, and try to drag it to another place within the same hierarchy (or anywhere, really), I cannot drag the selected category anywhere. When I click on the category, and try to drag it, it continues to highlight additional categories in the direction I want to drag it. There's no "sticky" category highlighting.

I've restarted Q and rebooted my mac to no avail. I even went to the Q web site and reinstalled Quicken. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I see this behavior also, but I believe it's intentional. With the re-work of the Categories window, they have changed how you rearrange parent/subcategory relationships. In the past, you could just drag a subcategory up to the top level or drag it to a different parent category. You could drag a top level category onto another top level category to make it a subcategory.

In v7.4, you now must edit the category, and change its parent/child relationship by using the "Subcategory of" field in the edit window (see below). What's not immediately obvious (but works) it that to change a subcategory to a top level category, you must clear out the "Subcategory of" field (leave it blank).

All this is a bit less convenient than the old way, but now we can merge subcategories of different parents. Since rearranging categories is not a frequent task, I don't think this is a big deal.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I think they developers broke something; I don't believe it worked this way when I originally beta tested it, and I don't think this is the intended behavior. I think something got messed up by mistake. I have filed a Help > Report a Problem report, and would encourage other users to do so as well.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Also, wasn't it possible to sort by other columns than just name, or am I not remembering correctly?

• LarryR
    LarryR Member
    Options

Either one of you could be right. I've been using Q since maybe 1989, but the Win version until this fall (the last 10 years through Parallels on a Mac). The category drag has always been the way it worked. I probably wouldn't have noticed it but since I moved to the Mac version a couple of months ago, I've been in the middle of a Quicken overhaul and was in the midst of a long-needed recategorizing/deleting/rearranging of categories when I did the update today. Suddenly it didn't work right.

The new way works, it's just less convenient. It wouldn't surprise me to see the drag come back if it was an oversight.

FWIW, I think the Mac version is better especially if you live in the Apple ecosystem. Different sometimes, but I like it better. The transfer and the differences learning curve is definitely a factor but not overwhelming.

Thanks for the quick responses.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Here's something else that changed in the Categories window. You used to be able to click on the number of uses in the Status column to quickly generate a report for the category. No more.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.