Quicken 7.4.1 and Catalina 10.15.7 (Will No Longer Be supported Question)

Options
Tom11
Tom11 Member ✭✭✭✭

I read on the 7.4 or 7.4.1 release that this will be the last update for Quicken Mac, that will support Catalina. How will I know when it's time to upgrade the Mac OS. Will I see a warning that I am unable to "DO SOMETHING", download , update, etc..

I am considering that when this happens to use Opencore Legacy Patcher and following Mr Macintosh Videos on Youtube install or update to Mac OS Ventura. I had an older MacBook Pro 5,1 that I installed Sonoma, but it was too new, and powerful for OCLP. So yesterday I did a clean install of Ventura. That works great. Hoping that I will be able to update my Late MacBook 2012 daily driver to Ventura using Opencore Legacy Patcher when Quicken gives me a warning that the time has come. If indeed it does give a warning.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I read on the 7.4 or 7.4.1 release that this will be the last update for Quicken Mac, that will support Catalina. How will I know when it's time to upgrade the Mac OS.

What it means is that when the 7.5 release comes out, you'll see a notice that there's a new version available which would require you to upgrade your operating system in order to install. Your 7.4.x version of Quicken will continue to run on your Catalina Mac. At some point, you may lose the ability to download transactions if they have to change something in the security protocols or other aspects of the downloading systems. You may or may not get advance notice of that; you should consider yourself on borrowed time from the day you're using an older version.

I have a Mac which is still running macOS Mojave, the prior versions of macOS to yours. The last version of Quicken which runs on Mojave is 6.12, from February of this year. When each new version is released, I get a pop up notice that a new version is available if I upgrade my operating system. Meanwhile, things just keep on working, minus some of the newest features which require the newer OS.

I have no experience with installing an unsupported newer operating system on a Mac which officially can't run it, so I can't offer any advice or opinions about that. To the best of my knowledge, Quicken Mac simply asks the operating system what version it is, and doesn't know or care what hardware it's running on — so if the hack to install an unsupported operating system works properly, you may be fine. Ultimately, you're fighting a battle against time with the Mac that's more than 10 years old, but you may be able to squeeze out some additional time this way.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.