Exercise Stock Option not finding recently vested option

Windows 11 Quicken Classic Premier version R53.16.

Exercise Stock Option Wizard not finding vested option. Date is on a weekday last week. Used this method in Quicken for many years. Below is error.

Best Answer

• Michael Farley
    Michael Farley Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Tom, I figured out how to fix the problem. I had this same problem a few years ago, but thought it was due to a weekend expire date.

Fix: Go into original Grant transaction, edit the expiration date and set back 1 day. Got to the Exercise Employee Stock Option Wizard and set the "What is Exercise Settlement Date" and enter the correct date (not the day minus 1). The correct option appears in the "Which Grant" window.

Problem solved, but I think that's a bug or a design flaw. I guess that the Expiration Date is the day before vesting, but the software didn't work that way a few years ago.

Thanks for the response.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Really not much to go on here in the way of information that might suggest a "fix" for the problem, though if other users on the same release start chiming in "me too" then it does point to the version you're using having introduced the error. You might try reverting to a version before R53.16 to see if the problem goes away.

You're sure that there is a option that has vested that should be available?

• Michael Farley
    Answer ✓

Tom, I figured out how to fix the problem. I had this same problem a few years ago, but thought it was due to a weekend expire date.

Fix: Go into original Grant transaction, edit the expiration date and set back 1 day. Got to the Exercise Employee Stock Option Wizard and set the "What is Exercise Settlement Date" and enter the correct date (not the day minus 1). The correct option appears in the "Which Grant" window.

Problem solved, but I think that's a bug or a design flaw. I guess that the Expiration Date is the day before vesting, but the software didn't work that way a few years ago.

Thanks for the response.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of option is this? RSU? ISO? NQSO?

I guess with ISOs and NQSOs (having never actually received either of those) the expiration date means "no longer exercisable, and the option is gone" while RSUs (again, having never actually received one of those either) don't really have an "expiration date" in the same sense as those other two option types. They "mature" and expire in the sense that the grant becomes stock you own.

Of course, by setting the expiration date back a day it seems like the option wouldn't be "available for exercise", so I'm not really sure what's going on here.

• Michael Farley

Tom, They are RSU, but I had to enter as NQSOs many years ago. Quicken didn't handle RSU until last year or so. Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.