Quicken crashes with Bill Manager

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Bill Manager - buggy and unreliable.

Comments

• TXLeadfoot
    TXLeadfoot Member ✭✭
    Options

I recently upgraded to Quicken Classic Business & Personal and noticed the bill pay was unavailable in the register. When I go to set up Bill Manager, Quicken crashes. Super Validate does not resolve the issue.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:

1. Even if you are on the latest software level already, download and install the latest Manual Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product to ensure your Quicken software is up to date and correctly installed.
    2. Reboot Windows.
    3. Start Quicken. Do not run One Step Update.
    4. Run BOTH Validate and Supervalidate to attempt to repair your Quicken data file.
    5. If nothing helps, try to restore your Quicken data file from an Automatic or Manual backup taken just prior to the problems first occurring. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots".
    • If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• TXLeadfoot
    TXLeadfoot Member ✭✭
    Options

It still doesn't work after following the instructions. Nothing remarkable in the data log. Thank you

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We're beginning to run out of options here. I suspect there's some structural damage in your checking account's control records which Validate and Supervalidate don't know how to repair.

If you're willing to try … after creating a backup of your data file, of course …

• Stop syncing to the cloud. Do not activate syncing until after everything is done.
    • Deactivate the Checking-1006 account.
    • Using Tools / Add Account create a new checking account register, New Checking-1006, and LINK it to the bank's checking account register for 1006.
    • The first transaction download will download 2 or 3 months worth of transactions into the new register. Ignore that there's a need for some cleanup for the moment.
    • When the new register is ready to use set up Bill Manager.
    • If it works without crashing, continue. Otherwise contact Quicken Support on the phone during posted hours of operation and request help. I've reached the bottom of my barrel, so to speak.
    • Clean up any now duplicate transactions in the new register. Leave the old register transactions as they are. Delete duplicates from the new register only.
    • Establish a correct Opening Balance in the new register, probably 0.00, and transfer the balance from the old register to the new one.
    • Change all scheduled reminders to use the new 1006 register instead of the old one.
    • Review all reports and views to ensure that the new account register has been added to the list of selected accounts
    • Backup your data file once more.
    • If you were previously syncing to the cloud for use with either the Mobile smartphone app or Quicken on the Web, Reset Sync to completely rebuild the cloud server copy of your data file. Make sure the new account register is included in the sync.

Hope that helps.

• davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    Options

TXLeadfoot, have you found a resolution to this? Did you try what UKR mentioned?

I am having the exact same problem you are having. I reported the situation with Quicken Support a few weeks ago. I provided them my Quicken log files and all. I have not received any updates nor any communication from them.

I have a Quick Classic Home and Business version and am paying the subscription. This is not acceptable that the functionality of the problem is not working. I should be getting a refund on the subscription and a discounted subscription until Quicken resolves this situation. Part of the subscription is paying for the Bill Manager. Why would/should I continue to pay for something that I cannot use because it doesn't work as it should. It used to but hasn't since they pretty much changed all the Quick Pay vendors to CheckPay.

One interesting thing as well, if you deactivate the account and then try to set it up again then the same thing happens…it crashes. I had to restore a backup version and luckily it was still activated. I had to do the one-step update though like 2 times before it finally took. (That was concerning but glad it worked.).

But TXLeadfoot, did you get any resolution? If you did can you please share what you did? If not, if I hear anything I will definitely share.

• davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    Options

TXLeadfoot, did you get any resolution to this? Have you tried what UKR suggested?

The reason: I am having the exact same problem. I reported this also to Quicken Support a few weeks ago. I provided my Quicken logs as well. I have not heard anything from them so no communication which is very bothersome.

I have the Quicken Home and Business and pay for the subscription. The Bill Manager used to work but when they checked from Quick Pay to more Check Pay for bills that is when issues started. I used my bank since then but I went back to try it again and sure enough failures. I should get a refund on the subscription and only pay a percentage until Quicken resolves the situation. It doesn't make since to pay a subscription for something that cannot be used. It unacceptable.

One thing I did also notice…it you deactivate the account and then to the Setup again…you get crash failures. I had to restore from a backup file where it was activated. I had to do a few one-step updates until it finally caught it and was working. It was pretty concerning when that wasn't working either though.

But TXLeadfoot, did you get it resolved? If so can you please share? If not resolved, if/when I hear anything I will share.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

TXLeadfoot , did you get any resolution to this? Have you tried what UKR suggested?

@davis.mc ,
    to get a notification to another community user by mentioning his/her name, you need to use the syntax with a leading at-sign: @TXLeadfoot
    That'll send an email or just a notification to show up in the user's community webpage, in the Bell icon on the top right.

Generally, if trying to set up or link a biller causes Quicken to crash, stop fighting it. Most likely this biller will never support Bill Manager properly.
    Instead, bypass Bill Manager entirely. Authorize the biller on their website to Autopay (Direct Debit, APS, whatever they call it) to withdraw this amount due and all future amounts on due date directly from your checking account (or a credit card if so supported).
    In Quicken use a regular Scheduled Reminder to record the monthly payment when you receive notification of a new statement being available.
    I've been using Autopay for decades and never missed a payment.

• davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    Options

UKR, thanks for the info on the @ use. You already did that for TXLeadfoot so they should see it now.

I used to use the Bill Pay for decades and that worked great but Quicken got rid of that and replaced will Bill Manager stead. Thus far, that has been not a good business decision for users of the product.

The ideal situation is a one-stop shop for bill payments and downloads not to go different FI's to satisfy. But trying to even activate the checking account for bill manager to function or to download tractions shouldn't result in a crash either. That is what is being experienced.

• davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    Options

TXLeadFoot,

I am experiencing the exact same thing.

Did you find any resolution? Did you attempt what UKR suggested?

If you are/have experienced it and I have it too it sounds like something systematic with the product and Quicken needs to find a resolution.

I previously reported it to Quicken support several weeks ago and provided Quicken logs and such. No word or communication since.

I even found today that if you deactivate the checking you lose the ability to setit up and activate again because it crashes there too. You have to go back to a restore and hopefully the one-step update is able to work it again.

I have the Quicken Classic Home and Business and i am paying a yearly subscription. I should get a refuns on the subscription and a lessoned subscription amount until the bill manager is working again. Otherwise, we are paying for something that doesnt work.

If you found a solution please share as it would be greatly appreciated. If not, if i hear anything or get any information i will share.

• Marc D Anderson
    Options

I was just fiddling around with the settings, and I think I got Bill Manager unstuck for myself. Try going to Bills & Income, then click on the gear / Review and Repair / Review and Repair Online Billers. I had a couple billers which we're in a broken state, and this removed them. Now I can start the flow through Pay Bills with Bill Manager again.

• davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks but I tried that and no dice. Still crashes. :-( Spoke with Quicken yesterday to try and get a status. I have the ticket # know and all they mentioned was that it has been escalated and no ETA. :-(

• Marc D Anderson
    Options

In my case, it didn't crash, but I couldn't reconnect Bill Manager. I expect we have different issues. But Bill Manager is just way too buggy and unreliable.

• davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, I agree seems like different issues. I am glad you got yours working! I was hoping it would have worked but thanks for sharing. I appreciate it! Yes…the Bill Pay was much much better. I used it for years. Bill Manager has a lot to be desired and needs to learn from Bill Pay. :-) (Same company but still.)

This discussion has been closed.