2023 - Quicken has once again discontinued "Update Selected Account."

Options
Useer1456
Useer1456 Unconfirmed, Member

Quicken previously deleted "update selected account." After many users complained, they brought it back. Now they have gone back and you must update ALL ACCOUNTS. I have been using Quicken since the 90s. I am now forced to look for another program. Why would anyone want to have each and every account updated onto the internet. Poor decision maker by the person who decided this after their last attempt at doing this.

They did this with the last update. Now my program is worthless and what I paid for - a program that allowed me to update the accounts I wished to update - I am no longer receiving.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Useer1456 I think you may have a misunderstanding.

On the Accounts menu, there continue to be two separate commands: Update All Accounts and Update Selected Online Account. This remains as it has always been, except for the brief period when they removed the latter command — because it doesn't actually do what it says.

As you may know, there are two types of online connection methods. With Direct Connect, Quicken logs into your financial institution's server directly and downloads transactions directly to your desktop file. If you have any Direct Connect accounts, then you can still do the Update Selected Online Account, just as has been possible in the past. Note that if you have more than one account at this financial institution via Direct Connect, each of them will update, not just the one you selected.

The other connection method is called Quicken Connect (in the Windows version, it's Express Web Connect, or EWC). With this connection method Quicken acts as an aggregator, logging into financial institution websites during low-traffic periods overnight to pull data for you and other users into a Quicken server repository, where it resides until you connect with your local Quicken; at that time, Quicken downloads all the Quicken Connect account data it is holding for you. There is not now — and has not been in the past — a way to download transactions just for one account if you have multiple accounts set up for Quicken Connect downloads.

There is no change in the current behavior compared to years ago. It's possible you may have changed financial institutions, changed connection methods, or opened different accounts, which can make it seem like it works differently… but it doesn't.

You said, "Why would anyone want to have each and every account updated onto the internet." I assume you mean "from the Internet"? Well, I'd say that for many people, if they open Quicken once a day or once a week, downloading transactions from all their accounts is exactly what they'd want the program to do. So I think the system works fine for many people. But some users may have reasons why they want to update some account(s) and not others, and I'm not suggesting that it wouldn't be useful to be able to download only a single selected account — but that's just not the way the back-end of Quicken's architecture works, now or in the past.

I'm not sure I understand why you feel the current operation — which again, has not changed — makes the program "worthless". It may be an annoyance to watch it downloading from accounts you know don't need to be downloaded at the moment, but you still do get all your data into your data file for whatever tracking, reporting, budgeting, etc. you do with Quicken. In any case, if you've reached a point where you feel you are not getting value from Quicken, then it is indeed time to seek an alternative you find better meets your needs.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.