Update to subscription required new login/registration- QDF file lost

Options

On Dec 6th my UPS went down along with my PC. Up to that date, I'd used Quick on my Win10 PC even though I'd gotten notices to get/renew my subscription.

When I rebooted my PC and tried to use Quicken it wouldn't allow it until I subscribed, which I did. However, it first required me to login, but my previous login/password wasn't accepted. I went ahead and register again with a new login/PW. I then purchased the subscription.

This allow me access to Quicken but with a new empty QDF file. I tried to load my old/previous QDF file but couldn't find it under "Quicken/BACKUP" or anywhere else. The only QDF files are dated 12/6 (the date of the reboot) which have no data.

Did it blow away my previous QDF. I have a backup from 10/29 but that leaves out 6-7 weeks of data. Is there some way to recover my data.

I hate spending all this effort and time when I've so much to do, especially since I followed all the prompts and instructions I was given.

Tagged:

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When you download and install Quicken software it will usually ask you if you are a new user or if the installation is a reinstallation for a current user. Perhaps you followed the path of being a new user? That would create a new QDF file for you with nothing in it so the new user can start building their QDF file from scratch.

If this is what you did, then go to File > Open Quicken File and maneuver to the file location where you used to save your QDF file(s). Select the file you want to open it. All your data should be there.

If you cannot find that location or do not know where it is: File > Find Quicken Files? This will search your hard drive and find all QDF and QDF-backup files on it. Then you should be able to find your QDF file from before you subscribed.

Did this help you find your QDF file with all the data?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• geo52con
    geo52con Member
    Options

Thanks for your quick response.

I do NOT recall it asking if I was a new user or current user. If it had, there is no reason I would have chosen "new user". I am sure that the first thing I was asked is to login (which failed- it wouldn't accept my old username/PW). I then registered and chose a new username/PW. It seems more likely that it then assumed I was a "new user" and therefore overwrote my existing QDF file with a new, empty file.

I have searched my whole C: drive for QDF files (and also with "File > Find Quicken Files"). None of the files contain any data from 10/29 on.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that you did not find a more recent data file. I've never heard of a new data file overwriting an existing data file during the installation process but I suppose that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Maybe someone else will pipe in and be able to provide more insight on this.

I am not aware of any way to recover a data file that does not appear to exist. You could try contacting Quicken Support (https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support) or wait to see if anyone else pipes in here to offer additional advice.

Or you could start to bring your 10/29 up to date. It will be a bit of work but I'm thinking that might be you only option at this point

Also, I would suggest that going forward you consider saving back-ups not only on your hard drive but periodically save them external to your hard drive. I have my backup Preferences set to automatically back up after every session to my hard drive and to save the last 40 backup files. Then 1X per week I save all my backups to a thumb drive. A more secure method would be to back up to some other network drive or a Cloud backup service like OneDrive or Drop Box. If you do this, then if something happens with your hard drive and you lose your QDF file(s) you will be able to recover your most recent files from the external drive/storage service.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.