Non-Unicode garbled up

Options
Supermann
Supermann Unconfirmed ✭✭✭

Hello all. While my main language for quicken purpose has been English, I do have the need to input some Chinese characters into the software. It has been fine after I set windows admin settings for non-unicode to Chinese. This week I restored my backup from another machine to a new machine and the characters are all garbled up, despite the old machine has them displayed properly (one could even search). Windows 11 these days seem to have a beta Unicode setting. Should we check ✔️ that off? I asked because checking in on doesn't seem to fix my problem. Planning to turn it off next. Hopefully it would fix. Still, I can't imagine even with Unicode, the characters can't be converted down the road. Thanks

Comments

• Supermann
    Supermann Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank goodness. After unchecking that beta option on Windows 11, it's back to normal.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The "feature" seems pretty dubious to me. From what I can see it is basically saying that instead of using the "locale" setting for the non Unicode flagged programs, use Unicode instead. Well, if the application really supported Unicode, then it wouldn't need this in the first place. I think the only reason this works at all for some applications is because a lot of languages and Unicode itself use the ASCII coding for the lower "7 bits".

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.