How can I adjust the balance in a category?

Options
odyinpdx
odyinpdx Member ✭✭

There is probably a more elegant way to do this, but if I had an expense that I expected someone to pay me back for, I used the Category "Reimbursable" for the "purchase" and then for the "reimbursement" . Now, at the end of the year, I have a net balance in that account of say $120 (made of up of a bunch of pluses and minuses. I want to move that balance to a different category, say "Misc" or "Gifts" (without having to recategorize the transactions).

Is this possible?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You could put in a $0 split transaction with 2 split lines. One would be a +$120 for "Gifts" and one would be a -$120 for "Reimbursable".

The transaction is a net $0, so it should not change the balance in the account that it is entered.

I'd probably be a little more truthful and make the category "Bad debts written off" versus "Gifts".

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You could put in a $0 split transaction with 2 split lines. One would be a +$120 for "Gifts" and one would be a -$120 for "Reimbursable".

The transaction is a net $0, so it should not change the balance in the account that it is entered.

I'd probably be a little more truthful and make the category "Bad debts written off" versus "Gifts".

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

After you make the 0 entry I would check the category again and make sure the splits went the right way. You may need to change the signs on the entry.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• odyinpdx
    odyinpdx Member ✭✭
    Options

@splasher

"You could put in a $0 split transaction with 2 split lines. One would be a +$120 for "Gifts" and one would be a -$120 for "Reimbursable".

The transaction is a net $0, so it should not change the balance in the account that it is entered."

—Thanks. Beautiful in its simplicity.

"I'd probably be a little more truthful and make the category "Bad debts written off" versus "Gifts"."

—The honest truth would be to post it to "Rotten Kid Expense" /S

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also, mark it "R" immediately since it doesn't affect the running balance.

This discussion has been closed.