Roth IRA transactions don't show up in portfolio

Options
Dave_b
Dave_b Member ✭✭
edited January 11 in Investing (Mac)

Quicken 7.4.2, MacOS 14.1.2, M1 Max MacBook Pro

Transactions in a Roth IRA account do not get reflected in the Portfolio view. For instance, for a buy transaction of a mutual fund, the cash amount is reduced by the correct amount, but no security information shows up in the portfolio. It's like the transaction never occurs except for the reduced cash in the transaction view.

This behavior only applies to securities with no existing position in the account. Transactions to existing positions for this account work fine.

This is a relatively new behavior. I notice this occurred on a transaction made on 11/17/23.

I duplicated this transaction in a regular brokerage account and it worked as expected.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Dave_b I just tried to replicate this, but I couldn't get it to work as you describe; the new security appears in the Portfolio as expected.

I went to one of my Roth accounts, and recorded a purchase of shares in a security I do not hold in any account. Quicken downloaded the price history as the Buy transaction was saved. My cash balance was reduced by the amount of the purchase. When I switched to Portfolio view, the new security was visible, showing the shares I just purchased. I tried this with several different securities, both individual stocks and mutual funds, restarting Quicken between each attempt just to see if that made a difference. In all cases the newly purchased shares showed up in the Portfolio as expected.

Are you sure the "As of" date on the Portfolio screen is today, or at least later than the date of the purchase you recorded? In the Transaction register, try changing the date on the transaction forward or back a day to see if that changes anything in the Portfolio view.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Dave_b
    Dave_b Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi. Thanks for your comments. I have tried all those things you mentioned. I have also reinstalled the app. Rebooted my machine and run in Rosetta mode, Add as well as Buy Transaction. None of these things work for me. I cannot get either a new stock or a mutual fund to show up in the portfolio view. I can add to an existing position as expected. Only affects my Roth IRA. Not my normal Brokerage account.

• Dave_b
    Dave_b Member ✭✭
    Options

I have solved this problem. Somehow a matching add shares transaction was inserted into this account at a very early date, which negated the transaction I was adding. I don't know how this happened but once I removed it then my account is behaving correctly.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Is your IRA account set up for online access? If so, then Quicken may have added that extra transaction so your portfolio continued to match what was being downloaded from the bank.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Dave_b
    Dave_b Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, it is setup for online access. And I remember that that transaction was not matched when I did a download for it. So I cleared it manually. Maybe this is what caused that to happen.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I'm glad you found the placeholder transaction, and that removing it resolved the problem.

Rebooted my machine and run in Rosetta mode

You're running macOS 14, so the original Rosetta is long gone and doesn't run. You probably mean Rosetta 2, which is what allows Intel apps to run on M-series Mac hardware. Just for future reference, Quicken Mac is compiled as a "Universal" application, meaning it will run natively on M-series (aka "Apple Silicon") Macs, but will also still run on Intel Macs, so you never Rosetta 2 to run Quicken.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Dave_b
    Dave_b Member ✭✭
    Options

Re: Rosetta:

Thanks. I'm well aware how Universal apps work in both Native mode and in Rosetta 2 mode. I was only trying Rosetta 2 mode to see if the problem I was having exhibited itself in both modes. I normally run Quicken (and anything else that can) in Native mode.

This discussion has been closed.