csv import

Options
45leopard
45leopard Member

I am using Mac version of Quicken Classic and am attempting to create a suitable csv file for import, using "import mint csv" (with mint now gone away I am just creating csv file from google sheets download). It does import the date and payee fields, but for the life of me I cant get the amount field to import … just zeros. Any suggestions?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just a shot in the dark, because I have not tried any of this myself …

What is the syntax in the CSV file for an amount field? A quoted character string …,"123.45",… or …,123.45,…

If one doesn't work try the other

• 45leopard
    Options

good thought …. however, I tried every combo I could think of, and always the amount field imports are all zero!

• 45leopard
    Options

I got it … it doesn't seem to care about the column headings! Amount needs to be in the forth slot, then it works … date, payee, ????, amount. Not sure what the third slot is but its not the category

• 45leopard
    Options

also, I used a plain number format for the amount in google sheet

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is the format of Mint data. Watch out for the fact that the amounts are "unsigned" and depending on if it is debit or credit.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • 45leopard
    Options

This was helpful. I can now input a csv file to Google Sheets (or Excel) from credit card csv download (or my old data) and manipulate into the following columns: col1:date, col2:payee (shortened form of description), col3:unused by quicken not sure what it is, col4:amount (sign doesnt matter), col5:type (debit for expenses paid or credit for payments received), col6:category, col7:reference number, col8:tags, col9:memo and notes. Then when I input to quick I get a new account file that I can copy and paste from. I find this a lot easier than using a csv to qfx converter (Quicken no longer supports a qif file input) since I am able to manipulate the file in google sheets … for example, I have much more flexibility in excel or sheets to create category rules, and apply categories before importing the file, or I can use already categorized data from a different financial management program.

This discussion has been closed.