Version 7.4.2 - end of the road

Options
QuickPeter
QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭

It looks like I'll be saving $50 (really too much) next year and beyond, and those interminable updates they keep shooting at us.

I don't think my 9 year old MacBook Pro will take anything beyond Catalina 10.15 and I can't really be bothered to find out.

I got this today:

Hi Peter, 

This Quicken Classic for Mac release — 7.4 — is the last release that will continue to run on macOS 10.15. If you’re running macOS 10.15, you won’t be able to update Quicken for Mac beyond version 7.4 to get new features, stability fixes, or security improvements. 

Click here to learn more, including step-by-step instructions on how to update your macOS.

sorry about the lousy copy functionality here. Not my fault.

Sometime ago did jacobs, jon or someone else say that someone was/is happily using an ancient version of Quicken? The one following Quicken for DOS 8.0 (just joking).

QuickPeter

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm happy with my old Quicken 2013 on Windows. It was the last good stable version. Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2023
    Options

It wasn't me, I try to keep things relatively up to date & not hang on to old programs; I've done that before & it never ended well for me. But yes, you should be able to run an old copy of Mac OS in a virtual machine & hang on to 7.4.2 if that's your preference. I don't know much about the details, I think @jacobs knows more about it.

BTW, a 2014 MacBook Pro should be able to run Big Sur (Mac OS 11). I'd look into that, unless it's going to cause problems with other programs that won't run on 11.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@QuickPeter I think you were referring to me. I got the same email from Quicken today about end-of-life for Quicken Mac on macOS Catalina. I have one Mac which is still running macOS Mojave, the OS before Catalina, because I've been holding onto some other 32-bit programs I can't or won't replace. Quicken Mac still runs fine on that Mac, running version 6.12.7 — the last version which will load on Mojave. In fact, since that's my main desktop iMac, it's where my live Quicken data file lives and is used. (I have another old Mac running Catalina, which I sometimes use for testing but will soon retire; my most recent Mac is a year-old MacBook Air which is fully up-to-date and which I use for testing the new Quicken features.)

Of course, I don't have the latest features from this past year on the Mojave Mac running Quicken 6.12.7, and now on the Catalina Mac running 7.4.2 Mac, but that doesn't bother me; Quicken runs fine, and each time there's a new update, it simply reminds me I need to update my operating system to use the latest version. But I need to mention the significant fact that I do manual data entry; I can't speak to whether transaction downloading still works correctly on Mojave — I seem to recall someone posting that it broke for them sometime earlier this year — or how long it will work if you stay with version 7.2.x on Catalina in the future. (Security quotes still download fine.)

I will finally be updating my Mojave iMac because too many web sites won't load correctly on this Mac, as both Safari and Chrome won't update to recent versions. I'm pretty sure jumping up to Sonoma or Ventura on this Mac will break other things in addition to the 32-bit software I know about, like my very old printers which keep working but certainly don't have modern print drivers, so I've been holding off setting the upgrade dominos in motion (including replacing my old Apple Airport Express WiFi repeaters) for a long time, but I know it's finally time to get up-to-date. It's on my to-do list for this end-of-year period.

As you know, you can't keep running the same hardware and software indefinitely. Sometime after you reach the 10 year mark with your Mac, you need to treat it like you're on borrowed time — it may last another five years, or die in five days. Also, running an old OS like Catalina means you're not getting Apple's OS patches, making you more vulnerable to malware. And you'll likely find, as I have with my Mojave Mac, that more and more websites — and importantly, financial institution websites — will stop allowing you to log in somewhere along the way. My experience running Quicken Mac on a Mojave Mac for the past couple years leads me to think you'll be fine staying with version 7.2.x for a while; Quicken won't disable it. But at some point, as Quicken modernizes its back-end architecture, you may lose the ability to download transactions, and at some point, might lose the ability to re-authenticate your Quicken with their servers should you need to. So you might be fine for another year, maybe more, without updating Quicken, depending on what features you use. Eventually, whether your hardware dies or you find you're vblocked from working with many websites, the forward march of technology will force you to get a new Mac.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Options

jon, "BTW, a 2014 MacBook Pro should be able to run Big Sur (Mac OS 11). I'd look into that, … "

Yes, thanks for that. I will look into it. QuickPeter

• QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Options

volvogirl, "I'm happy with my old Quicken 2013 on Windows. It was the last good stable version. …"

That's good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. QuickPeter

• QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Options

jacobs, thank you, there's so much useful information here, and reassurance. I hope others feel the same way too.

"Sometime after you reach the 10 year mark with your Mac, you need to treat it like you're on borrowed time — it may last another five years, or die in five days.".

Yes, I agree with that philosophy, of course. I'm due a new MacBook soon.

I'll let my wife see your post so she know it's not me just wanting a new toy!

She can't really argue against it because she's just taken delivery of a new iPhone 15 and, a iPad 10the Generation!

"But I need to mention the significant fact that I do manual data entry .."

Yes, me too. I don't think we can get the electronic bill stuff over here in the UK anyway.

It doesn't matter to me. My needs are relatively simple I think.

" … more and more websites — and importantly, financial institution websites — will stop allowing you to log in somewhere along the way."

That's really important to me. Thanks for pointing it out.

We really don't need to have to wrestle with these things if we can avoid them.

QuickPeter

This discussion has been closed.