Help with a Mutual Fund conversion to an ETF ?

Options
budi
budi Member ✭✭
edited January 14 in Investing (Windows)

Mutual fund conversion A mutual fund that I held was converted (they called it a merger) to an ETF.

I used the option of a mutual fund conversion and entered the symbols, said yes to add the ETF as a new security, followed the steps but when it was done, the new ETF doesn't show. The register for the original mutual fund shows the transaction

Suggestions?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Where does the ETF not show?

Newly added securities like your ETF are sometimes not shown in the Investing > Portfolio views until you click on the Customize button and add them.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

just curious - which Mutual Fund and resulting ETF ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The register for the original mutual fund shows the transaction

Which part of the transactions does it show? There should be a Remove Shares and one or more Add Shares transactions.

• budi
    budi Member ✭✭
    Options

It shows the Remove Shares but I can't find the ETF that should receive the shares

• budi
    budi Member ✭✭
    Options

The original mutual fund was Fidelity International Enhanced Index Fund (FIENX)

The replacement is Fidelity Enhanceds International ETF (FENI)

• budi
    budi Member ✭✭
    Options

I will try adding the ETF as a separate action. When I was doing the conversion, it asked for the Ticker and if Quicken should add the ETF. I said yes.and I don't think it would have completed teh conversion without that information.

• budi
    budi Member ✭✭
    Options

I went back assuming that I would have to undo the remove and start over after I added the ETF as a seperate account

After I had deleted it, I realized that it had added the ETF to that same account and had done it in multiple steps

I was expecting the ETF to be a seperate account in the list and it is just listed as a second account under the heading of the original mutual fund.

I assume since I deleted the "remove" part of the transaction, I will need to delete all the "add" and then redo the entire transaction…and then just remember to look under the old name for future transactions.

True?

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think you are confusing Quicken terminology of "Accounts" vs "Securities". Most Quicken investing Accounts can hold multiple Securities, like your mutual fund and ETF.

To avoid confusion, if you have a brokerage account you should name it something like "Bud's Fidelity taxable" and not the same as a security that you hold in the account, even if there is only one security in the account. To rename an account, select the account and click on the gear at the top right. Select Edit Account Details and you can enter the new name next to Account Name.

Yes, you need to delete all the Add transactions and re-do the Mutual Fund Conversion.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I assume since I deleted the "remove" part of the transaction, I will need to delete all the "add" and then redo the entire transaction…and then just remember to look under the old name for future transactions.

True?

No. Just enter a Remove Shares for all shares of the FEINX fund replacing the one you deleted and dated that same date

• budi
    budi Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for all the assistance! I have it all resolved

This discussion has been closed.