Rental Business in Q Mac

Options
gregjsmith
gregjsmith Member ✭✭

I can create a separate business for each of my rental properties, each has to have its own schedule E. How to I separate the categories? I only see an option for Personal or Business in the category settings.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

What categories do you want to separate, for more than Personal versus Business? You don't need separate categories for each rental property. In each transaction, you identify what business the transaction is assigned to. So you need one category for, say, Rental Income, even if you have 5 different businesses (rental properties) you're tracking. When you generate reports, you can see your category data for all businesses or isolate to just the one(s) you want.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • gregjsmith
    gregjsmith Member ✭✭
    Options

Ah, OK so I have to go to the transaction to identify the business. Thanks.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@gregjsmith Think of the Business field on a transaction as an equal to the Category and Tag fields — ways to slice/dice/aggregate your transactions in searches, reports, and a business dashboard. If you have 20 business expense categories and three rental properties, you could create duplicate categories for each property, resulting in 60 categories. Instead, you can just keep 20 categories and add the additional dimension of the three businesses. If you added a fourth property, you just add one more business instead of 20 more duplicate categories.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.