My issue with undesired security price updates continues

Options
joegold
joegold Member ✭✭

Hi
I started a thread here a while ago that seems to have been closed for commenting presumably by an admin.
I can't seem to create a link for the old thread but the title was:
"Quotes keep getting downloaded even though Download Quotes is deselected".

I'm just writing now to say that I was mistaken and that the errant behaviour still continues.
Any other 'solutions' to try?

FWIW
The issue seems to be associated with just a handful of my many securities, always the same few.
Most of the others behave well.

Comments

• Derek Marsano
    Options

I have the same problem. In particular this happens for my securities with type "Partnership". The prices always download or update at $1.00.

• joegold
    joegold Member ✭✭
    Options

Sorry, but that sounds like a different issue, although possibly related.
    My downloaded prices are accurate.
    I just don't want them to be downloaded.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The link to your original discussion is:

BTW, do you still owe shares (even just a fractional share) of these securities?

As a Quicken for Windows user I would also ask these questions … I don't know if all of them apply to Q Mac:

• Are these securities marked as "Show in Watch List"? (I don't know if Q Mac has the Watch List feature)
    • In the Security List are these securities marked as "Download Quotes"?
    • Do these securities still have a valid Ticker Symbol? (You may have to remove the ticker symbol to stop quotes downloads)

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2023
    Options

I'm not aware of any option in Quicken Mac to completely disable downloading security prices. You can check the box in the Securities window to limit it to only downloading prices for securities you currently own (so you don't keep getting price updates for something you sold off years ago) but I don't see any option to have it not download prices for the securities you do currently own. You can try removing the security symbols but that might not work if your investment accounts are set up for online access - the next time you sync your investment accounts they might just get restored. And of course any time there are transactions involving that security the price paid or received will be included in the price history.

• joegold
    joegold Member ✭✭
    Options

UKR
    Thanks for the link.

Yes, of course I own shares of these securities.
    That's why I update their prices.
    They are all marked as Currently Held on the Securities Window and Download Quotes is unchecked.
    [I have a great many inactive securities from past years that are visible on that page too and are not marked as Currently Held, and none of those inactive securities update their prices automatically, which is the way it should be.]
    I only need/want to update my share prices once a month, manually, after I get my statement.
    This way my Quicken file matches my statements.
    I don't want to know the mid month prices, just the end of month price.

I don't think I have any sort of a Watch List for securities that I don't own set up in Quicken.
    Remind where I would look for a list like that?

All the problem securities do have a valid ticker symbol as do most of my well behaved securities.
    I have faux ticker symbols set up for my GICs, etc. where the price per unit doesn't change and they are not traded on the market anyway.
    I know I could change the errant securities to faux security symbols, but am a bit worried that doing so might screw up all my historical data.
    And I shouldn't have to do that anyway.
    All my other securities, set up exactly the same way, do what I want/expect them to do.

Joe
    The option for not downloading security prices is located in the Securities Window where each security can be set to Download Quotes or not.
    I do not sync my security accounts online.
    I enter the security prices in by hand when I get my end-of-month statement from my financial advisors.

• Jon
    edited December 2023
    Options

The option for not downloading security prices is located in the Securities Window where each security can be set to Download Quotes or not.

@joegold Which version of Quicken are you running? I don't see any options like that for individual securities in my Securities window. If that's a feature unique to the Canadian version, I didn't know there were any.

• joegold
    joegold Member ✭✭
    Options

Don't think this has anything to do with Canada.
    We're talking about Quicken Mac, right?

• joegold
    joegold Member ✭✭
    Options

Is there an official way to submit a bug report to Inuit about this?
    Seems like it's a bug to me.

• Jon
    Options

It's in the Help menu: "Report A Problem". Goes to Quicken rather than Intuit, Intuit doesn't own Quicken anymore.

This discussion has been closed.