Is it possible to download transactions from a particular account only once a month?

Options
Perry Smith
Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭

It seems that Volvo Finance requires multi-factor authentication with each log in that Quicken does. This causes the web site to send me the code. It seems that Quicken takes more time before it realizes what is going on. Then it updates all the other accounts and asks me for the code (or gives me the ability to skip the connection). It all seems like a waste of time since I know that it is not really going to change until I make a payment each month so there is no point of logging in.

If I disconnect it completely then Quicken will never log in but then I would need to reconnect it, log in, get the update, and then disconnect it. Is there are more intermediate solution where the login credentials are saved but it just isn't part of the update when I click the Update circle at the top of the window?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Unfortunately, there's no way to specify to update some accounts less frequently. The only way this would be able to work is if the financial institution you don't want to update regularly offered Direct Connect as a connection method, which I'm guessing is not the case with a finance company.

The way Quicken's downloads work is:

• With Direct Connect connections, the "Update Selected Online Account" option on the Accounts menu will connect to that financial institution only. If you have more than one Direct connect account at that financial institution, they will all download at the same time.
    • With Quicken Connect connections (known as EWC/EWC+ for Quicken Windows), the "Update Selected Online Account" option on the Accounts menu will connect to the Quicken aggregation server and download all transactions from all your Quicken Connect accounts. The Quicken server logs in to financial institutions once a day, usually in the wee hours of the morning, to download transactions in each of your accounts and hold them until your local Quicken requests a download. There is no way to download just a single account or single financial institution.

As you can see, the "Update Selected Online Account" menu description is a misnomer. That's why the developers actually removed it in one release, because they thought it would remove the confusion which invariably comes up when it downloads more than the one selected account; users complained, so the developers put the menu option back but they weren't able to change the functionality of how downloading works.

So… if you have one account at a financial institution and it's set up for Direct Connect, you can click on any one of your Quicken Connect Accounts to do an "Update Selected Online Account", and then click on each of your other Direct Connect accounts one at a time and do the "Update Selected Online Account" — and that would get you downloads all the accounts except the one Direct Connect account you didn't tell to download. But if your Volvo Finance connection isn’t Direct Connect, there's no way to omit it from every download other than, as you noted, disconnecting it from downloads and reconnecting it each time you want to download from it.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Unfortunately, there's no way to specify to update some accounts less frequently. The only way this would be able to work is if the financial institution you don't want to update regularly offered Direct Connect as a connection method, which I'm guessing is not the case with a finance company.

The way Quicken's downloads work is:

• With Direct Connect connections, the "Update Selected Online Account" option on the Accounts menu will connect to that financial institution only. If you have more than one Direct connect account at that financial institution, they will all download at the same time.
    • With Quicken Connect connections (known as EWC/EWC+ for Quicken Windows), the "Update Selected Online Account" option on the Accounts menu will connect to the Quicken aggregation server and download all transactions from all your Quicken Connect accounts. The Quicken server logs in to financial institutions once a day, usually in the wee hours of the morning, to download transactions in each of your accounts and hold them until your local Quicken requests a download. There is no way to download just a single account or single financial institution.

As you can see, the "Update Selected Online Account" menu description is a misnomer. That's why the developers actually removed it in one release, because they thought it would remove the confusion which invariably comes up when it downloads more than the one selected account; users complained, so the developers put the menu option back but they weren't able to change the functionality of how downloading works.

So… if you have one account at a financial institution and it's set up for Direct Connect, you can click on any one of your Quicken Connect Accounts to do an "Update Selected Online Account", and then click on each of your other Direct Connect accounts one at a time and do the "Update Selected Online Account" — and that would get you downloads all the accounts except the one Direct Connect account you didn't tell to download. But if your Volvo Finance connection isn’t Direct Connect, there's no way to omit it from every download other than, as you noted, disconnecting it from downloads and reconnecting it each time you want to download from it.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just my 2cents' worth …
    I would not bother attempting to activate any loan or mortgage accounts for downloading. I would just simply set them up as "offline" (manual) loan accounts with a Scheduled Reminder to record the monthly payment from your checking account.
    (Not discussing LOC or HELOC accounts here. They should be set up as offline credit card accounts)

At least in Quicken for Windows, an online-connected loan or mortgage account does NOT have a transaction register. All data shown in the account come from whatever information the bank downloads to you ... if this process works at all.

As a result of being connected, the scheduled payment transaction reminder cannot transfer the amount of principal paid into the (non existent) account register and must use a category, usually something like Loan:Principal, instead. The category name seems to vary with the Loan Type you selected when creating the loan account in Quicken.

Effective with Quicken Windows 2018 and newer
    you should be able to deactivate an online-connected loan account and regain full control over your transaction register. And you should also review the Scheduled Reminder (or Memorized Payee List entry) associated with the monthly loan payments to ensure they now transfer Principal to the loan account register and not to a Category.

If you're a Q Mac user, you should be able to do something similar about setting up and maintaining an offline mortgage account together with a correctly calculated Scheduled Transaction Reminder for the monthly payments from your checking account.

• Bob@45
    Bob@45 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have two or three accounts like this, fortunately all but one of them are fairly inactive, with only a couple of transactions a month. What I do is I leave them "activated", but I have the "Download transactions and balances" check boxes for those accounts unchecked. Therefore they remain in my password vault and are available for download, but do not get attempted with each day's download.

Once a month as I launch One Step Update I check those on, and do the MFA on each of them as requested.

Alternately, if I choose not to do the above (which requires checking them off the next time), I manually review those accounts and do a manual download of the transactions as I go through my register account by account at the beginning of each month.

This discussion has been closed.