How to correctly record Pfizer acquisition of Seagen for cash

Options
jjrichards
jjrichards Member ✭✭
edited January 16 in Investing (Windows)

I am running Quicken Premier and Win 10. Pfizer just purchased Seagen and they gave you cash for the shares you had. In Quicken dowload it showed the transaction as reorg , I had to create a placeholder . How do you correctly show the transaction

Jeff

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If this is a pure cash deal then it should be recorded as a simple sale of stock. Did you in fact get cash into the Account at $229 per share?

What financial institution holds this account, and can you post a picture of the downloaded transaction. "Reorg" isn't any normal Quicken action.

• jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Tom:

Yes I did receive $ 229 a share and cash into my account . Etrade is who I invest with . My mistake when the transaction downloaded the " description was Reorg" , the category was left blank . Let me know your thoughts on the category you would assign .

Jeff

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

"SOLD" is the action needed here if you enter it directly in the Transaction List. "Sell-Shares Sold" if you use the "Enter Transactions" button.

I'd expect that Etrade would send the correct transaction here. You mentioned you had to create a Placeholder. Was Quicken saying that the broker had reported 0 shares while your file still showed all the Seagen shares, or something?

The sale of all the shares will drop your holdings in Seagen to 0.

Can you post a picture of the actual transaction downloaded? As I said, all of this should be properly reported by Etrade so I'm wondering if something else is going on.

The sale will create capital gain or loss depending on your original basis.

• jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Tom:

Thank you . I will mark as sold . Etrade is showing my shares as zero for Seagen .

This discussion has been closed.