Import tags or categories (Q Mac)

Options
DPW-CT
DPW-CT Member ✭✭

Quicken does not separate credit card transaction by authorized card holders but I would like to tag charges made by my kids on an additional card connected to the same capitalone credit card- I'm looking for a way to bulk upload category changes or add tags via import to transactions already in quicken.

Is there a way to modify category or tags by bulk upload/import. For instance can I downlaod a bunch of transactions and then re-upload them with new tags or categories.

Also any way to download transaction id so I can look for duplicates

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

For transactions already in Quicken, it's easy to change categories or tags. Select the transactions you want to edit, and go to Transactions > Edit Transaction. You can change the category on the selected transactions; for tags, you can either change any existing tags or add to existing tags.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

There's no way to bulk upload/import category changes or tags to existing transactions. But there are some normally hidden columns that may get you close. To add columns to the register, see menu View > Columns.

First, regarding last part of your post, there is a field "Sync ID" which may be what you're looking for regarding transaction ID. In my accounts, it doesn't always populate, so not sure how helpful it would be.

Regarding assigning tags based on which card was used: in two of credit card accounts which have multiple differently numbered cards, the card or person that used the card is indicated in the "Statement Memo" field. To assign tags, you could filter (using the search box, top right) by the Statement Memo field to narrow down to one person. Then you would select all these transactions made by the same person, and click menu File > Get Info. Using that window, you can bulk-assign a tag to these transactions.

The accounts that fill the Statement Memo field for me are my Citi Costco Visa (person's name) and Amex (last four of account number). I don't know if Capital One provides this info in the Statement Memo on downloaded transactions. If not, you may want to check the Statement Payee field which could possibly have some indication of who charged the transaction.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • DPW-CT
    DPW-CT Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks thats helpful but it seems as though Capital One does not show anything in Statement Memo or statement payee

I didn't see these fields populated on my Amex either, but then I noticed on Amex the card number is populated in financial institution notes . How can I search by that so I can add tags or bulk change category ?

Would especially like to figure out how to do this on Capital One Venture

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

The "Financial Institution Notes" that you see in the expanded transaction Details pane should be identical to what appears in the Statement Memo column if you enable that column for view:

Assuming you see the same, then you use the search box, top right of the register, to search for the number. The column must be in view (menu View > Columns) in order to be able to search it. You can limit the search to just one column by clicking the magnifying glass icon in the search box.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • DPW-CT
    DPW-CT Member ✭✭
    Options

Got it thanks - now I need to find out how to get something similar for Capital One Credit Cards - or find out who to contact to ask them to include that info in the file to quicken in the future

This discussion has been closed.