Split total doesnt match warning - no longer warning me when creating new entries

Options
EAS123123
EAS123123 Member ✭✭

Hi, there used to be a warning that would appear if the split totals didnt match (i have auto fill so values will sometimes automatically populate, which is annoying with split totals because if i forget to select 'adjust' i may not notice that the value is randomly off!). There used to be a warning that would pop up regarding split totals not matching/needing adjusting, but the warning is gone.

i have reset my warnings in quicken preferences and this hasn't solved the problem, the warning still doesnt come up.

-how do i turn the warnings on?

-is there a way to automatically have the split totals adjust in case i miss it by accident?

thank you!

Comments

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member ✭✭
    Options

According to your profile, there is a suspicion that this is spam. Nevertheless, I have long used splits w/o being aware there was a split balance warning. IMHO the present trouble posting One Step Updates poses a larger concern about the future of Quicken, but here goes.

My irregular memorized payees have all the usual affected accounts listed w/o ZERO amounts. When the transaction is recorded, the Actual amount is unassigned and appears last in the details.

The Uncategorized line at the top of the Cash Flow Report has worked for me, highlighting split errors.

Best regards,

Snuff

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What are your settings in Edit / Preferences / Notify?
    IMHO, all options except the 4th one should be enabled with a checkmark (#4, To run a reconcile report, is optional and depends on your needs)

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't know about your question but may I ask what transaction you are splitting? If it is for a credit card payment there is a better way to enter it.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Snuffy @EAS123123 posted the same message multiple times, which is why there's the spam warning.

Those duplicates have been removed, but the spam warning persists.

This thread seems to be legit.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• EAS123123
    EAS123123 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you! no, not spam, i just posted in the wrong category initially and it wouldnt let me delete it. Thank you for your help, i appreciate your suggestion its very good.

it used to give you the error that the split amounts dont match the total but its disappeared maybe the last year or so? very frustrating.

• EAS123123
    EAS123123 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

RE: volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭December 16I don't know about your question but may I ask what transaction you are splitting? If it is for a credit card payment there is a better way to enter it.

Not a credit card in this case (inputting income from single source/broken into multiple categories) but i'd love to hear about your credit card bill entry, that would be super helpful. I inherited this quickbook from a prior bookkeeper and just have been entering as splits. would love your advice, thank you!

• EAS123123
    EAS123123 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

THANK YOU!!! this did the trick, that one box ("notify when entering uncategorized transactions") was UNchecked. Youre a genius, i LOVE this forum, thank you! Two excellent solutions from such a random question :-)

I checked Quote but it didnt pick it up, replying to:

UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭December 16

What are your settings in Edit / Preferences / Notify?
    IMHO, all options except the 4th one should be enabled with a checkmark (#4, To run a reconcile report, is optional and depends on your needs)

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For credit cards you do not split the credit card payment.

The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. The transactions need to be entered with the date you charged it, not the date you pay the credit card bill.

Then when you pay the bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account. Then when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.  Then your credit card account should match what you actually owe at any time.

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this… [credit card] or newer versions have a Transfer column.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.