R53.16 - Asset Allocation report including Closed Positions (edit)

Options
Burny
Burny Member ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Investing (Windows)

Hi,

I updated yesterday to R53.16 and the Asset Allocation report in "Investing - Allocations" is now faulty as at least in certain asset classes previously closed (sold) security positions are now reported. I have not investigated this really any further in terms of which type of positions are reported incorrectly.

I was able to reinstall the previous version R52.33 and there's no issue in AA reporting. Luckily the data file still works after upgrade and downgrade.

Anyone else has come across this issue?

Thanks.

Börni

Comments

• Jem
    Jem Member ✭✭
    Options

I am also having the same issue. My asset allocation report reflects every closed option going back in time as well as settled securities.

• Burny
    Burny Member ✭✭
    Options

Have you contacted Support? I reported the error via the application and also briefly chatted with a support agent. The agent tried to blame it on my data file and I did nto have time to go through all their motions… Let's hope a few more users will have the same issue and this gets addressed ASAP.

• Jem
    Jem Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I reinstalled the current update, and the asset allocation report is accurately reporting my positions.

• Burny
    Burny Member ✭✭
    Options

That is great news. I will try the same and report back.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

the Current Update - is different…

Take a look at - Help —> About Quicken - to see what version and let us know

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Burny
    Burny Member ✭✭
    Options
  • Burny
    Burny Member ✭✭
    Options

So, here's where I am at:

On Quicken Classic Premier Ver R52.33, Build 27.1.52.33 the "Allocations" reported under the "Investing" tab are correct.

After downloading the latest Update Ver R53.16, Build 27.1.53.16 the same report now includes previously closed positions. It appears that this mostly (maybe exclusively) happens for positions that started out as Short positions, either for options or stocks, i.e. the opening transaction in Quicken was a "ShtSell" and the closing was a "CvrShrt". I just have too many individual transaction to check every one individually (my AA report now stretches over 36 pages instead one single page)

Also, once I downgrade from R53.16 back to R52.33 the report works again as it should with the identical data file on the same computer.

• Jem
    Jem Member ✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately I upgraded to VR53.16 B27.1.53.16 and the problem returned. All my closed option position reappeared on the allocation report.

• Burny
    Burny Member ✭✭
    Options
  • Jem
    Jem Member ✭✭
    Options

thanks for the information.

• Stu
    Stu Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Just reporting the same issue with Asset Allocation Report under R53.16. Closed options position back to 2002 appeared. Not only did the closed Options appear as "No Asset Class", they did so even though Options were deselected in the Security Type customization table. All options had been coded as "Unclassified".

Thnaks for the tip on regressing to R52.33. Did that and the problem disappeared. I reported the error to Quicken and will be careful not to accept any auto update patches until they say this issue is fixed.

• spiky
    spiky Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the same problem under R53.17 build 27.1.53.17 with the Portfolio Value Report.

• Stu
    Stu Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for that info, spiky. That means we have to wait for another update beyond 53.17. I'll stay on 52.13 as I depend on that Asset Allocation report very much. It would be nice to know that the engineers are aware of the issue and are working on it even if there's no fix just yet.

• spiky
    spiky Member ✭✭
    Options

There is so many problem with all the investment reports when dealing with multiple account using diffrent currencies and when you 'Short sell'. It's discouraging! Providing the reports to my accountant it's a nightmare every year. If they cannot fix their bugs, I'll have no choice and I'll have to stop using this software.

• Burny
    Burny Member ✭✭
    Options

The issue with transactions in foreign currency is, that they would also need to keep track of the actual spot rates. I have never fully looked into it, but all the reporting just assumes one FX rate which is tracked in their currency list…
    Best answer I have, track that stuff in Excel ;)

• Burny
    Burny Member ✭✭
    Options

The sad thing is that the AA reporting used to work fine until they messed something up with the latest update… As we know, it's not in the data file, so it must be in the coding… One would think, that they keep track of what was changed.

What concerns me is that the AA problem is still not noted in their "Known Product Issues"

https://community.quicken.com/categories/alerts

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I will be the first to admit that I don't know all the details on this reporting/short sells and such, but I would point out that anything that requires a currency exchange rate conversion "in the past" is guaranteed to be wrong in Quicken Windows US.

Quicken Windows US only maintains the "current exchange rate". It does also have the exchange rate if one is doing a transfer from accounts with different currencies, but that only applies to getting the right numbers into the two different accounts, nothing about what you would want reported in the future.

Quicken Windows Canadian is a bit better in the fact that it records the exchange rates per day, but clearly that isn't "per transaction".

One of things to note is that Quicken requires that all transactions in a given account be of the same currency. So, by definition they don't have any kind of conversion rate for the actual transaction.

Quicken is just not the right tool for anyone with these kind of investment/reporting needs.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Stu
    Stu Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Keeping this thread on the key issue - that the Asset Allocation report in 53.16 is incorrectly including option and other positions that have previously been closed. The foreign currency aspect is likely a different issue.

• Burny
    Burny Member ✭✭
    Options

I just reported this error again - this time with more data and background information - to Quicken support. Hopefully this will be picked up and fixed in one of the next releases.

• Burny
    Burny Member ✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately the bug in AA reporting is not fixed in the December release R53.26. Just updated to the latest version the the AA report still shows previously closed out positions!

Quicken team - when do you expect a fix for this???

• Stu
    Stu Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@burny.

I haven’t had the nerve to upgrade my Quicken program since 52.13 so thanks for being the pioneer. It’s unusual for the Quicken folk to ignore an issue like this so I’ll report it yet again. I can’t do what I need without a correct AA report and I have tens of closed positions showing up in the incorrect AA report. This means I must stay with 52.13 yet longer.

Quicken team: at least tell us where this issue stands in your priority.

• Burny
    Burny Member ✭✭
    Options

@Stu
    Agreed - I'm not using my main computer to try it out either. Have a "test" installation on an older machine wit a current data file.

I was on this morning with their live chat and reported it again, including a link to this thread. It's a bit frustrating as support thinks it's a data file or user issue but it's clearly a coding issue. Ticket number for me was 10672723

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Since this is a community, posting it here may go unnoticed - I have not seen anything under the "Known Product Issues" section. Therefore we should all report this problem thru the Quicken program's menu "Help > Report a problem…"

I know many of us have already done this, and perhaps we can report it again to indicate when the issue started and still remains in the latest release, and I encourage others who may not have reported it to do so.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• ikeni
    ikeni Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Has there been an update effecting the Portfolio Value Report? When I run the report it now shows all closed option details. For example- if I sold a covered call and it was subsequently covered, the report now shows each detail transaction as a security position. Now my report has dozens of these closed position transactions. I tried clicking the "Hide Lots" but it does not work. I have the report in "My saved reports" and use it often. I have not made any changes to it in months. The last time I used the report on 12/7/2023 it worked fine but now does not.

Any help would be appreciated.

[Merged Post]

• Burny
    Burny Member ✭✭
    Options

I was on with Support via Chat just now and I hope this will now be addressed. The agent was going to escalate this properly but the team that is dealing with this is not available since it's the weekend. I will follow up again early next week to see if they accepted this as a product issue.

• ikeni
    ikeni Member ✭✭
    Options

I looks like the previous version works but I dont know how revert back to it. Can anyone tell me how to downgrade to the previous version? I cannot find any help on that. Anyone have a link for it?

Thanks

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @ikeni,

For Quicken Windows, US version, you can click this link. While it's written with the assumption that your subscription has expired and you accidentally updated your Quicken version, the instructions also work for people with active subscriptions who wish to revert to an earlier version of Quicken.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Stu
    Stu Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@ikeni,

https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has

Look for the release from October 2023 (R52.33). Installing this instead of the current version will give you reliable Reports

• Stu
    Stu Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Kristina,

Many thanks for getting involved with this issue. Although for some of us the error is so obvious with many closed positions, I would be concerned that some folk who may have less closed positions may not even notice the error, but it could affect their investment decision making - particularly at year end.

Whatever you can do to bring this to the attention of the engineers would be much appreciated. I just reported it again through the app.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

(CTP-8498)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.