Quicken E*Trade Update Error OL-297-A

Options

Quicken Classic Business & Personal
Version: R53.26
Build: 27.1.53.26

My E*Trade update stopped working a few days ago. After the latest Quicken version installed, it still didn't work. I got the following error message:

"During the last online session, Quicken encountered an online error [OL-297-A]. Quicken is unable to establish an Internet connection. This may be due to a temporary server outage or your computer's settings."

I'm not having connection problems with other updates.

I tried Deactivating and reactivating and ended up with the error in the screenshot.

I was just wondering if others are having the same issue.

Comments

• yhpak76
    yhpak76 Member ✭✭
    Options

Also experiencing this frustrating error for days. All other accounts work fine.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You must have missed all the excitement earlier this year when "Quicken E*Trade" stopped supporting "Direct Connect" and made everybody change to "Express Web Connect".

• Deactivate all your accounts currently connected to "Quicken E*Trade" using Direct Connect.
    • Backup your data file. Shutdown and restart Quicken.
    • Use Tools / Add Account to activate all these accounts again to "Quicken E*Trade", making sure to correctly Link your accounts found at E*Trade to the already existing account registers in your Quicken data file.

• Swampdude
    Swampdude Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your response. I had to reset the Quicken E*Trade connection recently and it had worked fine until a few days ago. I tried the method you suggested and got the following:

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here's the official support page for

Please read and follow instructions.

• yhpak76
    yhpak76 Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm also getting the same errors after deactivating and trying to activate the ETrade accounts again. Also worked up until a few days ago for all accounts.

• Swampdude
    Swampdude Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

If the Internet connection was the problem, wouldn’t it affect all the other accounts being updated — or is it specific to “"Express Web Connect"?

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Same problem here using Express web connect. If i click ok on the error window it asks for if multi factor authentication, my account does not, but have tried yes or no, neither works, just comes back with Quicken is having a problem connecting with Quicken…same window as above.

This was working fine a few days ago. E Trade Bank is a different institution choice and it still works ok as does the other brokers accounts I have set up with banks, etc..

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Look thru your Account List and see if you still have one or more accounts activated for downloading, even though you're not using them any longer.
    As I said before, deactivate ALL accounts connected to Quicken E*Trade, including any old, long closed, hidden accounts that are still activated.
    When done follow the remainder of my instructions and activate the accounts that you still need

• lehrer
    lehrer Member
    Options

I'm getting the same error as @Swampdude , unable to establish internet connection when trying to update/add "Quicken E*Trade". It worked fine until a week or two ago.

I have removed all my etrade accounts from online updating as @UKR suggested.

All of my other accounts at other sites update just fine.

Has anyone solved this? It doesn't sound like Quicken is even acknowledging there is a problem.

• yhpak76
    yhpak76 Member ✭✭
    Options

Still having issues here. It's annoying since my brokerage account is finally going up 😂

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options

This morning still not working.

I made sure all Quicken E*Trade accounts were deactivated first.

Just to try it out I said to connect to Etrade Bank instead for my brokerage accounts, and login worked and it presented me with the 2 accounts that i already have there and connected - so it shows Etrade Bank gets through and is working where Quicken E*Trade does not. So it cant be an internet connection error on my side for the OL-297-A error

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello All,

We will be forwarding this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem within your Quicken program and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached in order to contribute to the investigation. It would also aid the investigation to include a sanitized file when submitting the problem report. A sanitized file is a data file that removes personally identifiable information so you can comfortably share this file with the Quicken team.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

(CTP-8496)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options

I submitted a report from Quicken this evening

• kantarjiev
    kantarjiev Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

When I try to update my ETrade accounts, I get OL-297-A, "Quicken is unable to establish an internet connection".

I have updated my accounts to the new Morgan Stanley numbers. This has been working since that transition; the last downloaded transaction was dated 11/2/2023.

I'm on version R53.26

[Merged Post]

• Swampdude
    Swampdude Member ✭✭
    Options

I submitted a report via "Report a problem to Quicken" today.

• yhpak76
    yhpak76 Member ✭✭
    Options

submitted a report as well

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @kantarjiev,

I merged your post with the existing discussion. Please review Quicken Anja's earlier post:

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• TranClan4
    TranClan4 Member ✭✭
    Options

I have been unable to download from E-Trade since the December Update. I went back and installed the November update and it is working now.

There's a link to the November 2023 update, but I haven't been around long enough to be allowed to post a link. Just Google November 2023 Quicken update.

• yhpak76
    yhpak76 Member ✭✭
    Options

How do you roll back? Do you just reinstall over top the current version or uninstall/reinstall?

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Here is where you can get an older Patch online - Looks like 53.16 is there from November…

I am not sure either if you can just install over the new version or not… or if you have to reinstall Quicken and then update just to this patch.

https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has

I may wait a bit longer before going through a reinstall but if anyone else does it, let us know how it goes for you!

Hopefully knowing the earlier version seems to work may help them narrow down the fix?

• yhpak76
    yhpak76 Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried uninstall/reinstall with the November patch and it didn't work for me. Same exact error as before.

• TranClan4
    TranClan4 Member ✭✭
    Options

That's really odd. I downloaded the Nov patch, clicked on it to run/install, and everything worked after that.

• Altos
    Altos Member
    Options

I also had a failure continue after rolling back to the November patch. First I had reinstalled quicken and then I did the November patch successfully but no joy with Etrade.

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options

One other interesting tidbit - I tried again tonight but this time put in the wrong password to ETrade.

I got the usual can not connect error window after that but then waited and in a few seconds the window came back saying "ETrade is saying your login is incorrect"

So indeed it is connecting enough to tell Quicken that.

• Swampdude
    Swampdude Member ✭✭
    Options

Just got updated to R53.32 Build 21.1.53.32

Still unable to connect to E*Trade.

• TranClan4
    TranClan4 Member ✭✭
    Options

I updated from the Nov patch to R53.32 Build 21.1.53.32 and I'm still able to download from E-Trade. I'm not sure why others aren't able to download. Prior to reinstalling the Nov Patch, I also Reset Account and Deactivated and Reactivated the account, which didn't work. It was only after I installed the Nov Patch that it worked. I accidentally installed the Dec R53.32 Patch and it still works.

I have no idea…

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options

Good question yhpak76

FYI I do not use MFA myself.

Also wondering do any or all of you connect to Etrade Bank (mine still works so never disconnected that one as it was a different name)

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, this morning I tried something new.
    On the same PC, i can dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10. I have Quicken Classic installed in both Operating systems both at version 53.16.
    I coped the Quicken data files from Windows 7 (that is having the problem) to my Windows 10 Quicken document directory (just the top level files not any in the data subdirectories. i.e. i copied synchlog oldsynclog,ofxlog oldofxlog + the data file itself.
    I tried to connect to ETrade and it instantly connected and showed me the files to link and they were linked up sucessfully and transactions downloaded!

It never asked me about MFA at all in Windows 10 and no "unable to connect to internet" window either.
    And the other thing I noted (attached) is that it used Direct Connect as the method to connect just fine and not web express??

I then went back to my windows 7 OS and original file and it still gives the same error.
    I am pondering what to try next (copy the win 10 ones back to Win 7 see if it works?)
    What OS are you guys using that are having the issue?

This discussion has been closed.