• Swampdude
    Swampdude Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I’m using Windows 7 and MFA.

• yhpak76
    yhpak76 Member ✭✭
    Options

Windows 10 with the November patch. Still having issues.

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options

Update - tried to copy the working data files from the Windows 10 directory back to the Windows 7 directory.

It opened fine in Win 7 and showed they were connected using direct connect. I tried a one step update and got a blank window (not the usual connected to 2 accounts and no transactions found) . I tried to reset for the heck of it and it didnt work said unable. I deactivated then tried to reactivate and got the same old error.

Seems it may be something in the Quicken brokerage file data? Not sure what to try next - I am unable to refresh financial institution data as I cant get the connection to work so its not even in my online connected list.

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Duplicate-sent twice

• TranClan4
    TranClan4 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am using Windows 11 with Direct Connect and am able to download.

• TranClan4
    TranClan4 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

[Deleted - Duplicate Post]

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options

Not sure if this helps but looked in connection log

Windows 7 Quicken install that doesnt work (after Dec 8th)

20231226 10:50:50: QFN: Beginning send to https://ofx.etrade.com/cgi-ofx/etradeofx
    20231226 10:50:50: ***QFN kQFFinished: returns 67186429
    20231226 10:50:50: A connection with the server could not be established. Please make sure your Internet connection is working. Your web browser can be used to verify your connection. A personal firewall may be preventing connection.
    20231226 10:50:50: QFN: End send to https://ofx.etrade.com/cgi-ofx/etradeofx, netstatus 36

This is what i see in the windows 7 install of Quicken connection log before December 8th 2023

20231202 08:51:49: QFN: Beginning send to https://ofx.etrade.com/cgi-ofx/etradeofx
    20231202 08:51:50: QFN: End send to https://ofx.etrade.com/cgi-ofx/etradeofx, netstatus 0

No firewall changes recently. Anyone know what 67186429 means or netstatus 36?

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options

This thread has a very similar issue noted in it with similar error codes:

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried the above thread suggestion under "internet options advanced security check for server revocation" to turn it off and reboot, but this still didnt allow me to activate 1 step update for ETrade.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Still using Windows 7 SP1?
    As of January 14, 2020, Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft!
    Ensure that TLS 1.2 is enabled in Control Panel / Internet Options.
    In Windows Control Panel select Internet Options (or in Internet Explorer, click on Tools / Internet options.)
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Scroll down the list to "Use TLS x.x" and click to put a checkmark on all available TLS choices.
    Turn off "Use SSL 3.0"
    Click Apply.
    Click the Content tab.
    Click the "Clear SSL State" button under Certificates.
    Click Apply, then OK.
    Close Control Panel or IE. Reboot Windows. Restart Quicken.

Also, earlier this year Quicken E*Trade stopped supporting Direct Connect as the transaction download method.
    You need to deactivate all brokerage and retirement accounts currently activated using "Quicken E*Trade".
    When done, backup your data file and restart Quicken.
    Use Tools / Add Account to reactivate these accounts. They will now be using Express Web Connect as the download method. Be sure to correctly Link the accounts found at the brokerage to your existing account registers or you will end up with new account registers or other incorrect linkages.

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options

So why would this Windows 7 Quicken Classic for ETrade have worked just fine up until December 8th 2023?

And just a few days ago I was able to download from Etrade to my Windows 10 Quicken Classic installation just fine, and it connected via Direct Connect? See window below

For your suggestions, thanks!!

My TLS looks good and SSL not selected (see below)

I Cleared SSL state and applied.

Started Quicken again and went to ETrade Setup connection.

I am still getting the 297-A error after doing all of the above.

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options

P.S. I have tried both Direct connect and Web Express Connect and neither works in Windows 7 Quicken installation for Quicken E*Trade.

For the Windows 10 install of Quicken, last week when I tried I didnt specify and it chose itself and connected fine with Direct Connect. Since it was working fine, i didnt ever try Web Express in that install.

I know you are thinking why Windows 7 - Well sooner or later i will move to windows 10 but for now too many things installed in Windows 7 I dont want to try and reinstall in 10 so i keep using it.

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I have a dual boot PC with windows 7 on 1 drive and windows 10 on another. Both have Quicken Classic installed at same version # (latest)
    Last night opened the ""problem" windows 7 data file on the other drive from my windows 10 drive Quicken Classic installation
    I was able to set up 1 step update and downloaded transactions from Etrade. (it defaulted to using Direct Connect and it worked fine)
    Then I rebooted under Windows 7 and started Quicken Classic install on Win 7 drive and opened the exact same data file.
    Tried to do a 1 step update using the connections i set up earlier and it showed Error and a blank 1 step update window.

I conclude the problem is not in the data file and not at Etrade - so its either something in Windows or something in the Quicken installation.

Since others having the problem are using both windows 7 and windows 10 - seems less likely Windows is the problem. Reinstall Quicken on Windows 7?

• RainMan22
    RainMan22 Member ✭✭
    Options

I saw another discussion on this topic but it shows 'Resolved / Closed' - Is this being worked on or is anyone else still having this issue? It's happened in the past but is generally resolved in a day or so. Not this time.

Thanks

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options

I have a dual boot PC with windows 7 on 1 drive and windows 10 on another. Both have Quicken Classic installed at same version # (latest)

Last night opened the ""problem" windows 7 data file on the other drive from my windows 10 drive Quicken Classic installation

I was able to set up 1 step update and downloaded transactions from Etrade. (it defaulted to using Direct Connect and it worked fine)

Then I rebooted under Windows 7 and started Quicken Classic install on Win 7 drive and opened the exact same data file.

Tried to do a 1 step update using the connections i set up earlier and it showed Error and a blank 1 step update window.

I conclude the problem is not in the data file and not at Etrade - so its either something in Windows or something in the Quicken installation.

Since others having the problem are using both windows 7 and windows 10 - seems less likely Windows is the problem.

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    edited January 1
    Options

I was reviewing some other "one step update" errors in the forum and one caught my eye

I checked my one step update results and saw many of my Last Download dates were not filled in even for accounts that were working and also for Etrade, and showed Not Available as mentioned by user Boatnmaniac - Example from Account List from other thread below

Boatnmaniac indicated that this is due to a corrupt runtime.dat file in the ProgramData/Quicken/INET/Common subdirectory for the data file..

By renaming/deleting it and then doing a new one step update it is recreated and then you have to reset and/or deactivate and reactivate all One Step Update accounts, and it should fix the missing date issue/corruption.

When I did this file recreation, and tried to connect to E*trade it worked (using web express this time) , so now all accounts have a date for last download and my problem seems to be fixed.

Everyone may want to see if you have some missing dates from other accounts that are connecting that may indicate a corrupt runtime.dat file.

Thread is below:

• Swampdude
    Swampdude Member ✭✭
    Options

When you recreated the runtime.dat file, did Quicken download all (older) available transactions. Was wondering if you had to sift through a lot of duplicate transactions.

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    edited January 1
    Options

Swampdude Member ✭✭4:52PM

When you recreated the runtime.dat file, did Quicken download all (older) available transactions. Was wondering if you had to sift through a lot of duplicate transactions.

If you do a reset and that works, then it didnt seem to even try to download old ones - just new ones.

If you have to go all the way to Deactivate and Reactivate I saw it mentioned it reviewed the last XX days of transactions but didnt make me go and accept a bunch of matched transactions, also just brought the latest ones down. My Vanguard a bit different it had a bunch of placeholders it downloaded that i just deleted (doubled my number of shares of everything for some reason)

Your experience may vary however as one never knows!

The worst part is if you have to deactivate and reactivate, the vault password is cleared and you have to dig up your passwords and reauthorize at your institution, that takes the most time.

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options

Swampdude Member ✭✭4:52PM

When you recreated the runtime.dat file, did Quicken download all (older) available transactions. Was wondering if you had to sift through a lot of duplicate transactions.

No, I didnt see a bunch of duplicates or having to be forced to accept a bunch of matched transactions.

If you can get the date to update with a reset only, thats the easiest if you have to go to deactivate it causes you to lose your vault password and reenter again, as well as reauthorize at your institution - that took a lot more time.

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options

FYI

A bit newer thread from BoatnManiac updated just today referring back to earlier one with runtime.dat issue and with some more folks with variations of issues:

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2
    Options

My E*Trade back to not working today. 297-A error window is back after putting in username and password.

I guess i will just do manual weekly QXF downloads from now on. At least everything else is working. I also decided to reinstall Quicken Classic and delete the runtime.net file again and restore a backup and validate and repair file (no issues found) to see if i could fix but no luck. E*Trade Bank connection still works and i deactivated all E*trade connections before trying to set up again. Frustrating!

• yhpak76
    yhpak76 Member ✭✭
    Options

I hope support is actually looking into this and a miracle January update is coming soon.

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Options

I just copied just the runtime.net and the data file directory from my Windows 7 drive to my Windows 10 drive.

Now using Quicken install on Windows 10 drive, Quicken one step update set up and connected perfect with E*trade and all one step updates have dates and are working (the runtime.net being copied over saved me from having to reset all the accounts).

And it takes just a few seconds to update vs probably 2 minutes i have to wait on windows 7.

Maybe I have to throw in the towel and just use Windows 10 from now on for Quicken (as a new year resolution?)

• Swampdude
    Swampdude Member ✭✭
    Options

As nightowl1962 indicateded previously, I’m still using Windows 7 because my system is highly customized and is still hanging in there – although I know the writing is on the wall. It’s just very strange that this error popped up very recently and only ETrade updates are affected. All other (14) accounts update just fine.

• Swampdude
    Swampdude Member ✭✭
    edited January 8
    Options

I tried the runtime.dat solution but it didn't work for me.

I just got off the phone with Quicken support. After we tried many solutions, I was put on hold. Then I was told that there has been an issue since December 21 and that they are "working on it" and there was no ETA. I was told to wait a few days and try again.

One thing I noticed is the updates on my other accounts were significantly faster after I renamed the runtime.dat file..

• billr
    billr Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I get a 295-A error this morning for first time. Everything worked great until today.

• Swampdude
    Swampdude Member ✭✭
    Options

I decided to download the transactions manually (a month's worth) while waiting for Quicken to resolve the issue. Here's what happened to me:

I used these instructions:

As per steps 1 through 3, at the E*Trade website I used these options:

Before I did steps 4-8, I made sure the "Automatically add…" options under Preferences > Downloaded transctions in Quicken were unchecked. After the import, I got this message:

Ignoring the message in red (???), I went to my Etrade account in Quicken. For some strange reason, I had to "Unmatch" a few of the first imported transactions that tried to match existing transactions with an earlier date. After that, I approved all the remaining transactions at once. Everything seemed to work fine. Share balances matched.

• adamls
    adamls Member
    Options

I've been reading through this and trying all of the suggestions. Nothing is working. I've placed calls to Quicken support and been told to just wait and keep trying. This has been going on since early December. Quicken has given no indication of when this will be resolved. Very frustrating!

• Swampdude
    Swampdude Member ✭✭
    Options

Just installed recent Quicken update (R54.9 Build 27.1.54.9).

Started setting up using "Add Account". Got the Internet connection error but I was able to finish the process, linking it to my existing account in Quicken.

After the completing the process, transactions were downloaded and added to my account automatically, even though I had "Automatically add…" turned off in Preferences. Got a message saying some of my Quicken share balances didn't match with Etrade, so placeholders were inserted. I determined that the transactions that occurred a few days ago (16th) were NOT downloaded and that caused the discrepancy. I ran Update again but the newest transactions did not download.

At least it's working (sort of). Maybe the other transactions will make it down later.

• yhpak76
    yhpak76 Member ✭✭
    Options

Just updated myself to the latest build and can confirm the same user experience as above. My transactions and balances are off, but at least it's working and connected.

Interesting how the "fixes" section doesn't mention this issue specifically. Only mentioned Direct Connect and Web Connect general fixes.

This discussion has been closed.