why are so many one step update issues closed without a resolution

Options
Jack
Jack Member ✭✭✭

Quicken Deluxe R53.26 Build 27.1.53.26

I have been monitoring the OneStep Update issues concerning an incomplete Summary page and have noticed that many of them are marked as Closed without providing a resolution. I have had similar issue since late November, 2023. I still have the problem and have no idea what to try in order to resolve it.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@Jack - From what you have posted here it appears that you might have a corrupted runtime.dat file. A couple of symptoms that can help to confirm this include:

• Financial institutions included in OSU not showing up in the OSU Summary report.
    • If the last account download date and time are not showing in the upper left of the Account Register screen directly beneath the Account Name but you know that the account is still connected for downloads, it could mean the runtime.dat file is corrupted.:
    • If you know that the account is still connected for downloads but that is not reflected in the Last Download column in the Account List, it could mean that the runtime.dat file is corrupted.

Corrupted runtime.dat files cannot be fixed and once the corruption starts it will progressively get worse until no accounts can be updated anymore. The runtime.dat file needs to be deleted and recreated. It is not a difficult process and there is no risk of data loss but it will involve resetting and/or setting up some or all account connections, again. You can read the step-by-step process for doing this at Time date stamp [of last account update].

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Jack,

The Community is a forum where users help each other and there are a handful of moderators like myself who can do some troubleshooting with you. Posts on the Community are not the same as contacting Quicken Support. A post is not a trouble ticket and will get closed when it has been inactive for about a month, even if the issue is not resolved.

That said, to further troubleshoot the issue with the incomplete Summary page, could you please provide more detail? When did you first notice this issue? Is it completely blank, or is it showing partial information? If possible, could you please provide a screenshot (with any personal information redacted)? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you Kristina. Please see the screenshots in my previous post. It started happening in late November.

• Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

screenshots

[Edited - Removed Personal Information]

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

Thank you for your reply and the screenshots,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.  

(CTP-8541) 

Quicken Kristina

• Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, Kristina. I submitted a problem when this first started happening in November and as you indicated, I did not receive a response. That is why I monitor the issues hoping to find a solution.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I sent you a DM. Please check your inbox (the envelope icon near the upper right corner).

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭✭
    Options

My mailbox is empty. What is a DM?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

A DM is a direct message. It should be in your inbox on the Community.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Kristina,

I truly appreciate the personal attention you are providing me. I hope we can find a solution for my issue and provide some guidance for others with similar problems.

Thanks again

• Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Still no email … "You do not have any messages yet."

Do I maybe need to logout and login again?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Sorry for the inconvenience. There's no need to logout/login. It's a system issue; the messages show sent on my end, but it was sending to the wrong Jack. I was messaging because I wasn't finding the logs you sent, but that was tied to the same system issue. It was pulling up information for the wrong Jack, and naturally, that person hadn't sent any logs. I was able to find the logs you sent and include them in the ticket.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the update. Is there anything more I need to do? Can I expect to hear from you again concerning this matter?

Happy Holidays and thanks again.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

For now, there's nothing further you need to do. If our teams need additional information, they'll either ask me to post the request to this thread or they'll email you directly.

Happy Holidays!

Quicken Kristina

• Boatnmaniac
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@Jack - From what you have posted here it appears that you might have a corrupted runtime.dat file. A couple of symptoms that can help to confirm this include:

• Financial institutions included in OSU not showing up in the OSU Summary report.
    • If the last account download date and time are not showing in the upper left of the Account Register screen directly beneath the Account Name but you know that the account is still connected for downloads, it could mean the runtime.dat file is corrupted.:
    • If you know that the account is still connected for downloads but that is not reflected in the Last Download column in the Account List, it could mean that the runtime.dat file is corrupted.

Corrupted runtime.dat files cannot be fixed and once the corruption starts it will progressively get worse until no accounts can be updated anymore. The runtime.dat file needs to be deleted and recreated. It is not a difficult process and there is no risk of data loss but it will involve resetting and/or setting up some or all account connections, again. You can read the step-by-step process for doing this at Time date stamp [of last account update].

• Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hallelujah!

Thank you Kristina for taking the time to get involved. And thank you BoatnManiac for providing the solution. This worked for me. Hopefully all of the others with a similar issue will find this to work for them.

Happy Holidays. My faith in OSU has been renewed!

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

@Jack - It is good to hear that your OSU issue is now resolved. Wishing you a Merry Christmas!

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am having this exact issue. I will try the recommended fix and report back. Thanks for posting. I am also having issues with some of my transactions not downloading. Like just a partial download. When I do a manual download it downloads all the transactoins that I request the dates for but creates a new account.

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Boatnmaniac

Hello, thank you for the informationh on fixing the OSU issue. I did the suggested steps and now I am seeing the time and date stamp in each account as to when updates occured and when I look at the account list. However, when I do an OSU, I do not get the OSU summary page anymore. I was getting it before but it was just blank. Now, when I updateit just finishes and does not pop up. Any advice?

• Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry. That's one issue I have never had with OSU. I've had blank summary pages, I've had incomplete pages, I've had inaccurate pages. Hopefully, someone who is following this thread will have some advice. The only thing I can suggest is to redo the steps. Delete the runtime.dat files, Reset each of the accounts that is eligible for OSU and then run OSU. Because of the nature of OSU (i.e. it seems to skip accounts if there is no activity and does not report that there was no activity), it may take a few iterations (days) until this sorts itself out. Good luck.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

@jnprop - That's a new one for me, too. When I last did the runtime.dat fix process (last spring) I think it took 3 attempts before everything was fixed properly. I'm not sure why it took so many times. Most people say the issue if resolved for them after the 1st attempt. So, I agree with @Jack…repeat the process, again.

• Swampdude
    Swampdude Member ✭✭
    Options

When trying the runtime.dat fix, is it advisable to try the Quicken E*TRADE connection first before adding the rest of the connections? Seems like that one is the most problematic.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

I do not know if there is any advantage to doing Reset Account for one financial institution over others. I just started at the top of the Account List and worked my way down.

I have seen some posts over the last couple of weeks regarding some connection issues with E*Trade but I don't think there is any pattern and I just don't think there have been too many.

Are you getting any error message or error code with E*Trade? What happens when you try to Reset Account?

• Swampdude
    Swampdude Member ✭✭
    edited January 1
    Options
  • jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Boatmaniac @Jack Actually, I did not have to reset any accounts. After I deleted the runtime.dat files (they were weird files like a media file or something… it was just not what I was expecting) all of my accounts had the time stamps as far as I could tell. This morning I did some troubleshooting and noted that the checkmark on the bottom of the screen for showing OSU summary when there are only errors was unchecked. I swear it wasnt yesterday because I looked at that. Anway, everything look goods now.

In other news, maybe you can help me with this. We got a new business credit card from Chase. I set up an online account for it. It was that new connection where you leave Quicken and continue the set-up… Everything went fine until I got to the account selection. Quicken is identifying two accounts. The primary and an employee card. Weird. So I just selected the primary card holder thinking it would pick up all transactions… well it didn't. It left off the transactions that were made under the other employee card #. It displays the correct online balance though. If I select both accounts it displays it makes two seperate accounts. I have an American Express Business card and it has cards under the main account and sets up as one account and pulls all transactions. I have personal cards with the same scenario… my card # and my spouse's card # unde the same account. . Any thoughts. If no fix, the only thing I can think of is I will have to manually input the transactions from the employee card. I am going to make a post on this as well.

thanks!

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Yes, some who have done this runtime.dat file fix have not had to reset any accounts. When I last did it last spring I had to go through the process 3X and each time is was a different number of accounts that needed to be reset. I haven't figured out why there is such inconsistency but at least we know that it does occur so we can deal with that.

I'm glad you figured out how to get the OSU Summary to show up, again. Am I correct in assuming that you are now saying the fix for the runtime.dat issue resolved the issue for you?

The Chase issue is something different so you are right to start a new thread on that. It will then get the undiluted attention from others that it deserves. You also might want to do a search in this community regarding your connection issues with Chase. I think you will find there are several other threads about an issue that sound a lot like the one you are describing. In fact, this issue appears to be affecting more than Chase. The one that sticks in my mind is Amex.

This discussion has been closed.